PLA MPCNC Parts in a Hot Garage?

Hi everyone. Did any of you, or did most of you print your MPCNC parts out of PLA? If so, do you keep your MPCNC in a garage as well? How do the parts handle hot temperatures in the summer? Do they lose their stiffness or is the machine accuracy affected at all?

I live in Texas and I am about to move my machine to the garage, not an issues during the winter months but in the summer time, well it’s Texas! The garage gets pretty warm and will usually hover around 105 - 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am asking because I am considering re-printing all of my parts in ABS but if I really don’t need to then I won’t.

Thanks in advance!

Mine is mostly petg, lives in a barn year round. Though I’m in Ohio, so not as hot.

I just built my MPCNC so I I’m not sure about it. But, my 3D printer has lots of PLA parts and I have had that for about three years in my garage and I live in Phoenix, AZ. I have never seen any accuracy issues with that and I would imagine the 3D printer would be more sensitive to such a problem.

Without direct sunlight on the parts PLA should be able to handle pretty high heat, sun can take it over the top though. Not exactly sure on the number but I believe it is about 130F when it gets bad. 140 for sure.

I was having the same concerns about my build. Usually PETG is my go to for anything mechanical because of it’s slight flex. But in this case if the creator is insisting on PLA I think I’ll go with that.

Worst case scenario, my PLA parts droop in a hot garage and I just reprint them, right?

HEY!! I’m just a little south of you in Maricopa!

Looks like Arizona is prepped to have the makings of a small MPCNC Users Group…

Jonathan lives in Phoenix, Tony in Maricopa, and I’m in Queen Creek, just south east of Phoenix. I’ve got my MPCNC built up, and am working on the wiring now.

If the OP, or anyone else wondering about how PLA holds up in summer temps, give us guys in Arizona a few more months and we’ll give you reliable answers. As a glimpse of Arizona summers, I’m in my shop just about every day. I was face milling a part on my little benchtop mill, and I went to rest my left arm on the tailstock of my Smithy. I jerked it back real quick, as it was HOT!! Hotter than I expected for sure. I grabbed my temp gun and took a quick shot of it’s reading. Keep in mind, this is half way back in my shop, never had direct sunlight hitting it, my garage door is insulated, as well as my south facing wall. My attic is not insulated yet. This is not as bad as it’s ever been either. I’m a glutton for punishment I guess, and am considering exchanging a certain body part or two if it would get me an AC unit!!!

[attachment file=89227]

Anyway, I’ll post a separate introduction thread… been meaning to, but hadn’t had time to just sit and do it, came across this thread, with two fellow Arizonans, and felt compelled to reply!

Cheers!

Ron

Dang that is too hot to want to do any work in that shop. Project number one, swamp cooler!

Ryan, I’d normally agree with you, but with the Lathe, Smithy, benchtop mill, drill presses, blasting cabinet, etc, all that humidity is a real turnoff to me. I’m 50 years old, and to be honest, the crazy heat here bothered me when it came to working in the shop, but the last couple of years, I just grin and bear it I guess… Who knows, maybe I’ve added Closet Masochist to my already known A.D.D. and O.C.D.!!! HA!!

1 Like