Physics of bicycles

Very long page, with awesome interactive graphics:

It shows first principles up to very complex physics examples in bicycles. I’ll be honest, I haven’t finished it. :slight_smile:. But what I have read impressed me. It would be cool to see this with CNC cutting.

4 Likes

Well that is all the lower and intermediate level physics and engineering without the math. That is one heck of a web page.

2 Likes

Hi Good material - But they got the gyroscopic action wrong. The wheel revolves around the ground not around its “centre” therefre3 does not behave like a gyro. There have been several bikes made with anti gyros on them and they are quite ridable. Many years ago a friend of mine made an “unridable” bike and no one could ride it. I made an articulated tandem MTB once and initially it was unrideable but once I figured out you had to steer left slightly before you wanted to go right and vice versa it became ridable… All interesting stuff. Peter

They mentioned both the anti gyro bike and the unridable bike. They had links, but I didn’t follow them because I was reading it offline.

Not going down this worm hole lol
But I plan on using my lr3 to make jigs for my next bike build.
I miss read that you want to have it as a consideration in Cnc cutting.
For my .02$ don’t forget about p factor then. With the vacuums and or air assist or mist. And the cooling fan on the router too.