Petg+

Will someone do a brain dump on printing with this stuff?

I picked some up to print some rope fittings for my kayak. I ‘think’ this filament will be good for this.

I also think I want to print a new core for my v4 with it so that I can print Asa without melting the core.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about PETG+…

but, I think ASA is one of the only ones that is UV resistant, so you might consider using that for something going on a kayak if it will be in the sun for long periods of time

2 Likes

Ah. I knew there was a reason I was thinking ASA made more sense.

however, the parts will be under a layer of fiberglass with an Automotive 4k clear on top. The Automotive clear is UV resistant and should protect the parts.

1 Like

Last i knew petg is uv resistant. Not sure about petg+

1 Like

I think it is “more” UV resistant, compared to PLA, but it still degrades over time.

Sites like the Simplify3D filament comparison site only list ASA as “UV Resistant”.

Otherwise, use have to buy specially modified PETG like UV-PETG…

That’s how I understood it at least, but I haven’t done tons of research on it

1 Like

Ok. I’ll order some black Asa for the kayak parts.

I’d still like to print a new core out of the petg+.

Is there anything special I should know about using it? I got the inland brand from microcenter on sale for $20.

1 Like

You’ll need to have an all metal hotend installed. An enclosure is helpful but not necessary if the room is heated without a lot of draft.

1 Like

I have both of those already. Will printing PETG+ cause my PLA extruder mount melt while it’s printing? Or is the bed temp low enough?

I guess I should start with reading the S3D documentation on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would think all that’d be ok for PETG+. ASA wouldn’t melt your PLA parts or anything like that but you might run the risk of slight deformation. Hard to say with the temps ASA prints at.

1 Like

I have first hand experience of trying to print ASA causing the PLA extruder mount to deform enough that the belts pull loose. The parts cooling fan duct also melts enough that it falls towards the bed and causes issues.

1 Like

Dang! Yeah I held back because for some reason there always seems to be a lot of pushback when you say don’t print this on that. But your right. Don’t print ASA or ABS on a printer with PLA parts anywhere near the spicy areas.

1 Like