Partially printed cross cut jig

I have sold my table saw a few years ago because it was a loud beast and I was afraid of getting complaints from neighbors and also… I have a lot of respect for a table saw and saw myself with half a thumb down the road eventually because of one unintentional move.
So I stuck with circular saw jigs and a Hitachi saw with “silent mode”. But The jigs were the ones you see on youtube with either aluminum angles to slide the saw on or a wood slide over the cross cut. I always found it difficult to use those because the aluminum profiles bend and the wood has too much resistance - even with Teflon tape.

But then I thought of the LR2 sled for the router and the corner mounts of the old MPCNC… I got it half way done and should be done by this weekend. Essentially a circular saw cross cut jig sliding on a LR2 like X-axis mounted by MPCNC clamps. The PPCCJ (partially printed cross cut jig :wink:

Expect pictures soon

I started this some time back. It’s on 5’ rails now, so I can crosscut 4’ sheet goods with it.

It’s LR2 sled bearings and a plywood base to mount the circular saw on. It’s capable of reaching the base with the saw all the way down. I can also tilt the saw for miter cuts up to 45°, though that means less deep material.

6 Likes

I’m with ya on the table saw issue. I ran a circular saw with a home made track for a while and then bit the bullet and bought a Makita track saw. It’s awesome, wish I had Makita batteries already so I could get the cordless but had to go with corded. The dust collection is awesome. I now use the CNC to make parallel guides to the size that I want for cabinets or whatever I’m building. Takes 15 minutes to adjust the cad and make new guides.

Your idea sounds awesome too, looking forward to some pics

2 Likes

If you can mount the saw at 90* to the shown orientation you’ll have a panel saw too.

Mine is intended to be a panel saw… I still use my tablesaw.

I was told by a few different friends who work in the insurance industry, that the amount of injury claims resulting from work on a 4’ ladder are several times the value of claims due to falling from taller ladders. This is not due to more frequent use of 4’ ladders either, but simply caused by a false perception of safety. Tbh I throw myself up and down 4’ ladders like a kid skipping down the road, but take my footing a lot more seriously on top of an extended 30’er. If I break my neck falling off a ladder, it will be likely be off the 4’er. This is a habit that requires constant attention to avoid.

So definitely do things to make your rigs safer, but to be safe you still need to maintain a healthy level of “scared” with it. So for real, doing something like gluing shark teeth to the saw if you find yourself getting complacent with a new safer setup is not a sign of insanity.

3 Likes

Alright, so I did not really put much planning into this, but with adjusting the fence this works pretty well. I got to find longer screws for the clamp downs so it is still a work in progress.

2 Likes

looks good to me. That sled looks a lot like mine, but that would be parallel development. starting from the same LR bearing holders.

I ended up having to scavenge the lumber that I assembled my frame with, so it’s just got the rails and holders (and saw) sitting out for now.