Parametric Table

In theory of course it will be stiffer and MUCH more stable dimensionally, but because of the forgiving nature of the LR3 I doubt whether the difference will be significant in practice. I’m looking forward to your review!

Having said that, I’ve just removed the old LR2 top and there’s been zero measurable movement after a couple of years and quite a bit of general bench work too.

Clearly I firmly believe that every variable that can be removed at this stage is well worth the effort.

The other positive is that slightly damaged MDF can be sourced free or almost free in the form of ‘cover’ sheets from a local cabinet maker.

1 Like

Almost there, test leg ready to mount.

6 Likes

Break a leg! :sweat_smile:

Love it!!

It really looks terrific!

… but there’s nowhere to put your coffee down… :thinking:

First rule of the day…never set your coffee down until it is empty.

Almost there, one more “feature” to add. Then mount up the CNC.

5 Likes

Sucks we cant see the pic. I’m sure it looks awesome! Are you moving your daily to this table or building a second one?

I sent in a support ticket, I hope it works again shortly.

This will be my daily but I will not be moving over for a few more days I think.

4 Likes

Looks amazing!

Added a pullout. I think I am going to add some nice roundover pockets with some finger spaces to get things out. A couple dishes for screws and clamps, and maybe a bit holder or just another dish. This is the stuff I always have laying on the surface…I was going to hang it, I think htis is better.

I have a pull handle ready, and it pushed in far enough to still use the front for clamping in some edge milling vertical pieces.

Found some cool little clamps they should be here today. If they work, I might run the vac hose in the small channel on the Y rail side.

6 Likes

Now you need some LED lights around there shining on that beautiful table!

3 Likes

We were …I was … talking about that last night at dinner. Make it match the “Neon” sign behind it.

I want to add all sorts of things. I need to make sure to give my self time to do ii or once it is dialed in and calibrated I will not want to touch it. So today I will try and run a few batches of YZ plates and that should give me some time to mess with it before needing it.

1 Like

I had not thought about it before but I just measured the outermost corners to check for square…within a 1/2mm. How is that even possible, I did not even try to get it right. I figured everything is adjustable. That is fantastic, can’t wait to get this thing running.

I seem to have a tiny sag in the middle, as seen with a straight edge. About 0.4mm. I build this one section at a time on a warped table with glue and brad nails, how the heck is it so good? Making a table with a CNC machine is surprisingly accurate without even trying. Interested to see how that works out with some surfacing. Will it be a little bit or a lot of material removal…

3 Likes

Sounds to me like you should start at a .5mm surfacing pass and it should clean up. I always rather take a few shallow passes than one deep pass. Then I only take what I absolutely need to.

1 Like

I like going super shallow to see the topographical issues peel back.

2 Likes

The whole thing is great and looks very cool! It’s a perfect adjunct to the MPCNC project I think!

I intend to use my drawer cutout in the same way, and it also gives the opportunity for a (small) dropped insert, nice! (I’m just going to screw it in place as/if needed)

It was the thought of having to clean dust off the stuff stored on the bottom shelf that convinced me to fill in those gaps! (and I don’t even have a bottom shelf). :thinking:

2 Likes

I keep going back and forth. I am going to use that gap to try and run a vacuum hose. I also wanted to see if that gets around some sort of bearing dust skirt for the bearing rollers. AND…I have some cool little edge clamps, I think I might just end up 3D printing some instead. I have started to like the idea of the gaps…but it does look a bit odd.

I also think I have a small update for the belt holders…Then I looked at them and want to make a larger update…we’ll see.

4 Likes

Almost done.

9 Likes

Sort of a tattoo for your table…

1 Like