Owl puzzle for toddlers

I don’t really know why, but my 2yo daughter is obsessed with owls…
After a quick search, I found a model that could make a nice little gift for her :slight_smile:

Cut it out of an offcut worktop, 29mm thick oak

As I don’t like just cutting an existing file and calling it mine, I also designed a small tray for it, and cut it in pine

I just finished the tray with mineral oil, and leaved the owl without any finish, as we may paint it later…

The reason I chose such a thick material is that the owl can stand on it’s own too

17 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Heck yeah, nice pictures as well.

1 Like

Great job!

I had this in my mind for a long time (I had a similar puzzle of a lion when I was a kid, Always loved it), seeing your elephants puzzle just prompted me to actually do it :smiley:

1 Like

That’s a great present and probably a ‘hoo-ge’ surprise :smiley: Especially the tray just makes it complete :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind me asking, just to get a feel for it: how long does a cutting job like this take on your machine?

1 Like

For 29mm thick oak
I was pretty conservatives on the DOC because oak can have a few hard knots here and there
I used a 6mm 2 flutes downcut bit

Surfacing (1mm) → 6min54

Boring the eyes (could be a lot faster I think) → 2min58

Contouring the pieces (2mm DOC per pass @ 1500mm/s) → 31min11

Grand total → 41min03

And for the tray…
17mm thick model out of 18mm thick pine

Surfacing → 3min06

Pocket clearing → 35min13

Contour → 3min47

Grand total → 42min06

2 Likes

Thank you so much.
My guess would have been something like… 2 hours minimum. LOL.

I really need to my hands on the stuff that I bought from Ryan and is held at customs for the moment. And since we are in Germany I have my doubts that people work there between the holidays :laughing: I want to staaaaart :smiley:

1 Like

Generaly speaking, it’s clearing the pockets that takes a lot of time, contouring is pretty quick…
Sometimes it might be quicker to split the blank in two, make two contours, and glue them back together…
I’m thinking about getting a band saw for this…

I also have been looking for a bandsaw to be able to resaw the boards I am getting. Using a table saw and doing the rest with an electric saw is pretty hard and wastes a lot of wood.

I am trying to get a used Elektra Beckum BAS450 or 500, since the saw height is >250mm. Once bought I then only need a new outlet for higher currents. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I had wanted a bandsaw for a long time and I wanted it to be capable of resawing hardwood of at least 4-6 inches thick. I could not afford ones that come with a strong enough motor, but I bought a cheaper one, then bought a stronger motor (3x the horsepower of the one it came with), and refit the saw with the stronger motor. I also bought a better blade made for resawing. I’ve been thrilled ever since, and I use it often.

To refit the saw with the stronger motor required replacing both pulleys. I used a purchased metal pulley for the drive pulley, but I designed a 3-D printed plastic one for the driven pulley, and it has stood the test of time so far.

For the new belt, I switched away from grooves that run in the same direction as the belt (which is how the original was) to teethed (perpendicular to the direction the belt travels). This increases the friction and strengthens the ability to transmit the energy from the motor to the blade.