Outdoor IDEX build

So do we need to rename it to IDER?

2 Likes

Independent Dual Lowrider Router… IDLR?

1 Like

A bit off-topic, but only a bit: I love the ideas you have Jamie. With the MPCNC it was the tool changer and the dual stack MPCNC, here it is the IDEX (now do a double decker IDEX… :D). I imagine you looking at what Ryan does and thinking: “I can make it weird. I am going to make it weird.” And then bang out something I could not assemble in a lifetime. So awesome, so much fun to look at.

4 Likes

Wish there were something more than a heart i can give to that! Damn! Right down to your fixture!!!

3 Likes

This is not the same as jamies. Ido not see it running the way his does at all. Looks like all3 must cut the same thing!!!

1 Like

It looks like that OpenBuilds setup is aiming for throughput by replicating the same motion. Their language around the feature really seems to be highlighting the throughput, and I saw no mention of different tools.

I saw someone do that a long time ago except it was with four heads instead of three. Of course four is better than three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVeyUas5vU

2 Likes

Yup I learned that is not as useful as what you are doing. You either need independent heads, or multiple tools to make that useful.

I am seriously considering trying this…If I come up with a period of some free time I will. I think I would save a ton of time on the ZY plates.

The other reason your design is superior is big batches. I have a 2’x4’ and I still only do 1/3 of the table at a time. If anything goes wrong it is a huge waste of time and material. With your setup I can do each plate with the small holes and the 1/8" cuts, then move to the next individually. If anything goes wrong I only lose the one it is working on. Currently, I lose the entire batch. I have only ever lost one set since I made the LR3 but it is still in the back of my mind. …if you add a belt to that somehow I could have my own production line…

2 Likes

Ohhhhh printheads, muktiple printheads!! One could water soluble supports or multiple colors or or, oh the options!!

1 Like

Sounds like a project for rmrrf!

1 Like

Okay, here’s the public video with explanation aimed for those who are being introduced to this for the first time.

There are so many things that are interesting to me, and it’s hard to keep the focus on what a typical viewer will find interesting. My original script had me wandering off into esoteric what-ifs. I cut it way down so this is more to the point.

13 Likes

OH yes! That is perfect. Now to link that video in a few places…

:thinking: Maybe. Red pen, black pen. Pen /drag knife…

3 Likes

Jamie,

That’s outstanding!! Now I want one too!

Mike

1 Like

Maybe a white board with a marker and an eraser :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very cool build!
We have some old two head routers, but the heads are mechanically linked, not independent. There was a four head router that we retired a few years ago. Two of our newer routers have independent heads. Works very well with large batches of parts. Can’t wait to see how it runs and what you make with it!!!
Excellent job :clap:

1 Like

Do a clock that self updates. I think I have seen one of those, that would be awesome.

2 Likes

So cool, and just saw Jamie’s howto make an idex topic.

What’s next? Plannning to use a one (or two) core LR3 to mill Alu for a narrower core that’s quick release, using Alu milled by LR3, with PLA, denser stacking for a sweet IDEX IDSU (independent dual subtraction) or ITSU (… Triple …) machine even?

1 Like

I feel like this is complete, at least for now, and I’m not anticipating an extension along the same direction.

There are plenty of concepts I’m considering, but they are all independent from this dual-carriage theme.

Five-axis experimentation is on the list, but I’m not sure if that one is next or if I’ll tackle something else first.

5 Likes

So i was watching grbl for 4 and 5 axis. Maybe you should convert idex to grbl and run 10 axis :wink:

1 Like

Imagine a MPCNC with four independent Z axes, one in each quadrant of the crossing gantries. SKR Octopus has enough motors for it. But it would require a bunch of firmware development to be usable.

Just to be clear, this is not in my plan, it’s just a concept. I have a surplus of them.

4 Likes

Sounds more feasible than a tool changer! Only issue is having four routers… two routers and a laser might be within reason.

1 Like