Original Step files for easier remix

I’ve created some remixes with the help of tinkercad but for more complex shapes or modifications It would be very benefitial to have access to the step files.

Are these released anywhere? I haven’t been able to find them for the lowrider 3.

If they’re somewhere please point me there and I’ll delete the post.

Ryan does not release other files because he doesn’t want remixes by people who don’t know what they are doing and opening the way to subpar parts (someone correct me if I am wrong).

This does not seem to be what’s reflected very specifically on the license under which @Ryan releases everything (as per License | V1 Engineering Inc). Also If you were right Iwould wonder why release STL but not STEP files, It does not stop anyone from remixing, only makes it a bit less convenient (and less precise also, leading to overall worse quality remixes for the most part).

I’m not trying to force anyone’s hand here, just want to add my 2 cents to the project by sharing my personal modifications and, hopefully, be able to make them in a better, more precise way.

(Btw here’s the link to my existing remixes, which I feel do comply with the license with no issues.)

Ryan has to tell you the details, I don’t know enough about it. :slight_smile:

If you release them under the same license you are good.

1 Like

Ryan doesn’t release the step files. I know he thinks about it every time he releases new files. But the motivation isn’t to reduce remixes, it is to protect his printing business. He designs the files and makes his living selling the hardware kits and printing the parts. Releasing the step files makes it easier to sell copies on ebay or alibaba.

As for remixes and subpar parts. There was a new core piece labeled “improved”, but it was not (by many measurements) and it caused a lot of headaches. We haven’t seen anything like that since 2016 or so. The V1 reputation is stronger now. So it could probably be less likely to happen. I don’t think this is a huge motivator for not releasing the step files.

Bottom line though, they aren’t available.

3 Likes

The step files are available for frequently modified parts, like anything attaching to the core are available. Anything else should be fairly simple to modify with an STL for reference.

These guys have summed up my reasons well. I think you could agree we get high quality remixes this way and people can not easily remove my trademark to sell the parts elsewhere. I believe this to be the best low hurdle solution. Over the years I have seen it all, and this has worked very well for us. The early days, first 6 months or so, Many many “improved”, “V2”, “must have”“better” remixes came out and just muddied the waters, most were just plain horrible. The pictures and “marketing” for them were louder than me, so people would build with the crappy parts and ask ME why it didn’t work well. I am not one to tell someone “tough I’m not helping because that is not mine”, time gets spent trying to help them.

If you need one or two Specific dimensions feel free to ask but I am not providing drawing and most dims are not super critical.

If you feel something should be changed and you are not capable of doing it feel free to share it and I will change the official parts if needed, the YZ plates and the gantry screw holes were a user suggestion.

6 Likes