Origin cutting into workpiece

I am using Repetier-Server. By default it uses Global Coordinates and doesnt recognize G92 commands. I have been dealing with it since I started a few months ago because I like the interface. It does have a mode for Local Coordinates that does allow G92 commands. I have been wanting to give it a shot because i am tired of having to set my origin ON the top of the workpiece. It will sometimes “scar”/cut the surface before I start my print. sometimes its ok because i might be pocketing that area, but sometimes its not cool because that is the workpiece surface. Anyway, I am trying to use the G92 command, however, 2 things have happened. If I set ANY G92 command, it will no longer allow me to Probe(G38.2 Z0). Not even from the terminal on the board. There is will actually give me an error: Cannot reach the Target. This is the code i was using:
G92 X0 Y0
M0 Attach probe
G38.2 Z0
G92 Z0.5
After I have used the G92, i cannot figure out how to reset it without just rebooting the system. After that i can probe all i want until i use a G92 command. That is my first issue.
Second issue is this. I decided to get clever since i could use the G92 but once. I change the code to this:
M0 Attach probe
G38.2 Z0
G92 X0 Y0 Z0.5
So im only doing One G92 after the probe. That seemed to work. I then did a G1 Z10 to get off the touch plate and remove probe. Then I went to print something. Even though It started above the work piece this time, it still went down, scared my workpiece raised back up and did the cut. I looked at the gcode and see this at the top:
G90
M03 S17000
G00 X0.0000 Y0.0000 Z0.0000 F2100
G00 Z5.0000 F480

Why does it go back down to X0 Y0 Z0 before starting? can this be removed? Here is a pic of my estlcam showing my origin and a pic of the result.

Thanks for anyone’s help in advance.

For the first issue; ‘cannot reach the target’ what does the machine think Z is before you do the M38.2? If it’s zero that might be the Issue.

For the second gcode issue go into the estlcam settings and check the starting gcode being generated.

Could be the gcode you generated has the origin set as the bottom of the block. Check it and if it is, set it to top of block.

I guess for the 0 you have the last setting in the screenshot wrong. It has to be “above zero”. I think you might have “at zero” selected.

/edit: Oh, you asked about before, not after. It’s the same setting but one above the one in the screenshot. :smiley:

Side remark: You should check if something is loose, the corners don’t look too cornery, especially top right. :slight_smile:

It is still 200.
Estlcam Program Start and Operation Start is default, and doesnt have anything like that in there. I do everything before with macros so im not hardcoding stuff into my files.

Yes, that was it. I see it now. I had it “At Origin” not “Above Origin” Thank you!!

1 Like

Repetier supports an @IsAtHome command you can use in its macros so that you can reset the display inside Repetier to match if you’ve executed a G92 X0 Y0 Z0 in your macro (or gcode).

yeah, i knew about that and was using it previously. but since im never going to be “@home” it will be an offset of home. i dont think i can use that anymore.

The isathome only affects jogging. If you don’t jog after doing the touch plate, then the gcode won’t have a problem.

But I have never used repetier server. Maybe it does mess with the gcode.

I think you are right. I am always scared to not keep them in sync all the time. I dont think it messes with the gcode though.

Anymore ideas on my first issue?

I don’t know if I have enough details to tell what is happening. But I am busy and not reading very carefully.

I would try playing the gcode back one line at a time. Just to see if you can figure out where it is between moves and why it is diving in like that. It isn’t magic. It is doing it for a reason. It just needs some careful debugging.