On upgrade path: LR2 -> LR3, Clarksburg, WV, USA

Can’t speak for Ryan, but I think that this looks good. The wings shouldn’t need to take a lot of weight, but there is some tension from the belt tightening that it needs to withstand. My main worry would be the lip that secures everything, if the part is going to fail, that’s where I’d expect it to.

I might consider making an expansion joint at the top of the print, where a screw can be inserted to force the inner part of the part to expand against the walls of the strut. This would take some of the pulling load off of that lip and again change it to compressive force. This would benefit both sides. Alternately, a piece that goes inside the strut to prevent movement added as an auxilliary piece to prevent strain on that lip.

1 Like

These are worthy considerations. The only things I can say about the lip are that I used a similar type of set up with the LowRider 2 for quite a while with no issues, and the one I was using then did not grip the inside of the strut the way the current design does. The current design makes a pretty good friction fit with the strut.

2 Likes

I now have available a new remix:

LowRider 3 - hose-hanger modified for 2.5" vac hose

This part was designed to accompany another LR3 remix of mine, the LowRider 3 CNC - Makita 700 Series Mount & removable dust shoe - REMIXED FOR 2.5" HOSE.

If you plan on using my 2.5" dust shoe remix, and you plan on routing your 2.5" vac hose onto the hose holders (underneath the control box is how Ryan has it), then you can use this part instead of the original hose holders.

Prints with no supports needed.

Drop-in replacement for the original part.

My PayPal tip jar: PayPal.Me

LowRider 3 - printed end stop / belt tensioner holder

1 Like

I agree - the open design is much more in keeping with the machine. I am a bit with Dan on the fixing too - i would be inclined to use a couple of bolts through the strut and tapped into the print - one each end - countersunk into the strut - might not be necessary but it would make me feel good.

Slow down Doug, I haven’t had time to think up my own mods yet and I’m not even planning on starting till November! :smiley:

2 Likes

Re: those printed end stops / tensioner holders -

Check out the short video I posted. These things are solidly in place.

Re: mods

I look forward to whatever you come up with! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol. I didn’t even wait for all of the beta parts before I started tweaking…

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a whole lot to tweak to be fair - I like the thought of enclosing the steppers and belt entry from the outside at least, and I do need to widen my table, but the whole setup looks really fantastic.

Once again, despite my brain telling me otherwise, I’m pretty sure I’ll be building “to plan” with the benefit of so many other builds by the time I start. :wink:

2 Likes

I am a big fan of trying to protect the lead screws and stepper motors etc. from the dust from the cutting.

1 Like

:open_mouth: Get that puppy dirty!!!

1 Like

The LR3 is so far ahead of the LR2 in that regard already. I was talking with @macboy about protecting these, since his use is carving ice. The motors are already almost clear, it’s a simple matter to protect them from the carving area.

2 Likes

Awesome

@vicious1
Hey, I’m working on remixing the awesome blank control board case you made available, for use with SKR Pro 1.2 and BTT TFT35 E3.

What is this slot for?

I’m wanting to move my two cooling fans from my existing case, and wondering if I can afford to move this slot and/or delete it. I gather it serves a purpose, I just don’t know what yet.

https://www.printables.com/model/209411-rambo-or-mini-rambo-lr3-specific-case

LCD cables.

1 Like

OK, thanks! That means I can remove that slot, since my LCD cables will connect to the BTT TFT directly through the lid of the case. This will all make sense what I reveal my remix.

LR3 control box case for SKR Pro 1.2 with TFT35 E3 — based on V1’s Blank Case CAD files

FREE STL FILES AVAILABLE HERE: Printables

I’ve remixed the excellent “blank case control box” model provided by Ryan, to support SKR Pro 1.2 with TFT35 E3 and with two cooling fans. It also has openings for accessing the main board’s USB slots and SD card slot, and an opening for accessing the touchscreen’s SD card slot.

The two fans used are these Noctua 40x10’s.

I’m currently printing it, and it’s a pretty big print run, so hopefully it will come out as desired and not need redoing.

Below is a screen shot and the model parts with print times, which are based on .3 layer height and .6 wall width. I’m accomplishing that print spec with both 0.4 nozzles and 0.6 nozzles.

Part Print time Grams of Filament
Base 11h 34m 182g
Lid 6h 20m 106g
TFT Holder 4h 21m 73g
Reset Button 0h 4m 1g

UPDATE (2022-06-06): I switched the orientation of the touchscreen. The following are updated screen shots.

1 Like

That is pretty much what I did for my control box.
Rambo+ RPI.

1 Like

@gpagnozzi
Looks great! I like your big emergency stop button.

The original design was like yours, 3 parts design… bottom/front, Top/back, screen and no emergency bottom. Now, this is a 2 part design as I have to move the screen forward to accommodate the big stop bottom.

2 Likes

2.1x5.5mm DC Power Jack Plug Adapter Connector — to help with modeling

I use these 2.1x5.5mm DC Power Jack Plug Connectors in a variety of things so modeled this to help with plans & designs.

Here is an affiliate link to the batch of connectors I use: https://amzn.to/395r5zi

I’ve posted it on Printables in both STL format and SketchUp (.skp) format.

1 Like