Nylon Lock Nuts too hard to tighten?

While tightening one of the m5 bearing bolts in place, I managed to crack my core casting (boo!). It also seems that the PLA is deforming around the bolt substantially as I drive it, risking stripping entirely. As I get ready to print a new one, does anyone have any advice? These seem really tough and hard to drive, should I prep them by running them on a couple of times to loosen them up? I never use them myself, but will use two nuts jammed together, so lack experience. Your advice is appreciated.

Sometimes they are pretty stiff. Yeah, you can run a bolt through them before putting them on the machine and that does work well.

I haven’t cracked any of my parts or deformed anything. Usually that happens if you tighten them too much, not as you are trying to tighten.

Everyone’s printer is a little different. It might help if you post pictures of the 3d printed parts. Maybe there is room for improvement on your print settings to make them stronger.

1 Like

Well, this has to be the dumbest mistake ever. For some reason I have M8x1 bolts, but locknuts that are 1.25mm thread, not 1mm. Clicked the wrong thing when I ordered them I guess. Sorry all.

2 Likes

@Mark_VandeWettering

Look at this page Under Legs and feet. There is a note to run a bolt through ALL of the locknut prior to assemble. I haven’t seen a similar note in the LR docs. @vicious1

Then the nuts are not so tight that you can’t feel when the plastic is resisting.

Mike

1 Like

I thought the instructions said to run the bolt into the nylocks first to soften them up, but it’s been a while since I read them.

Also, keep in mind nylock nuts can and do loosen up occasionally. I do a preflight check of all hardware before running each job.

Note if you’re going to prep all the nuts this way do NOT use a drill or electric screwdriver. The heat generated from the friction can melt the plastic insert.

Guess how I know