Not sure what's going on

I built an LR3, SKR Pro V1.2 kit, all part from V1E, using Estlcam 11 and with everything working, I was able to cut the 3 strut parts. Now with the struts mounted and loving life, I went on to some practice cuts, sweet… everything’s working great. Since there are bigger fish to fry, I started on a torsion table. The first one and a half sheets cut perfectly. When the LR3 started the second half, a couple of cuts where not in the correct place. Figuring it was something I did wrong in Estlcam I called it a night. This morning I made new gcode and was also going to check the set screws on all the gear motors.When everything checked tight and solid, I homed the machine to try the new gcode.

Everything was going good until it started heading to another wrong location but it was not the cordinates it went to previously so I shut it down. Powered it, homing it, it started going home then the right Y motor stopped, left one still driving. Shut it down, realigned the gantry and restarted, homed then both Y motors started moving for about 10mm then the left Y motor stops with the right one still driving. I left it alone for about an hour then tried it again. This time during homing, the Z worked correctly, X worked correctly but both Y motors move in the wrong direction (from home) and went for a distance of about 2mm then stops. Tried a few more times to home, same story, Z and X work correctly, Y just move a couple of mm in the wrong direction. (things that will make you go hmmmm) Guys I’m lost, starting to think it might be the board or maybe drivers. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

@Roy_Littrell ,

It sound like the Y axis end stops are disconnected. The action you’re seeing is the Y axis trying to back away from the end stops.

The end stops are wired to be normally closed and when triggered they open. I think you should check the connections, including the extensions you may have used to lengthen the wires.

You can also check the connections at the controller. I had a SKR also and I found a couple times that when I put the cover on the case the end stop wires could wiggle loose. In this case I could see that the wires are just barely connected and then slowly worked loose.

Check those things our and let us know what you fine.

Mike

1 Like

If the end thst had the problem is opposite the controller voard, check the connections where the wire extensions are. Sounds like intermittent contact problems with the Y motor/end stop

1 Like

Well Dan and Mike you both got it right, you guys are good! It was an intermittent micro switch along with a loose connection from one of the extensions. I sincerely thank both of you for your input and expertise. If it wasn’t for you both I would still be scratching my head.

1 Like