Not another MP3DP V4

Yeah. Right after asking, I threw all the parts on a build plate in s3d and let it estimate it. Looked like around 400g with the settings I was using.

I’ll start ordering parts tomorrow.

1 Like

Tomorrow I’ll order the filament and the extrusion from Zyltech. I’ll wait to order most of the bolts until the Zyltech package arrives as I think it comes with bolts.

I ordered most of the other hardware, pulleys, steppers, and belt.

That should just leave the Electronics, print head, and steppers.

My Notes…

Extrusion Cut size and count:

8@445mm : 4 vertical and side horizontal
3@470mm : front and back horizontal
3@405mm : Z Rail Mounts

Assuming I don’t screw up any cuts, looks like I need 7 1m lengths of extrusion.

1 Like

I’ll add some notes here. Cutting them short is far better than cutting them long. If you are doing panels, you can go super short, I left probably 8mm gaps at the top of my Z rails just so I could easily route wires. Now that my 6th V4 is built with panels I don’t think there is anything to be gained from the pieces touching other than looks, so I would say cut everything 2-5mm short. If you are not using panels I would still cut them a few mm short but depending on your hardware is how close you need them.

Good to know. Thanks.

I’ll be using the chop saw for the initial cut, but plan on cleaning and cutting final dimension on the knee mill using a stop block so they’re all identical.

Overkill is the only kill…

I do plan on using side panels eventually, but not sure what material yet. I’m thinking the HDPE panels from Menards would be nice. Looks like 1/4" HDPE in a 4x8 sheet is $77.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/plastic-utility-panels/1-4-x-4-x-8-hdpe-panel/blkhdpe48x96x220/p-1561703293089-c-14048.htm

I bought black 2020 rails and I’m going to use silk green for the printed parts. The white HDPE should look pretty good.

1 Like

Cut the Linear rails short, with the extrusion cut dead-on balls accurate?

Or, add a few mm to extrusion lengths (in the correct way…) if trying to avoid cutting linear rails?

Edit: Striked out my misunderstanding.

I read that as cutting the extrusion shorter.

I see, that makes sense if using thicker structural panels. Was leaning towards 1/8" acrylic/poly thick panels though, more decorative than structural so I might need to figure something else out.

Extrusion shorter. The width, X direction, is critical and could need some wiggle room to make sure the X rails fits right. When I cut all my extrusions perfect, I almost always end up with a build a bit too wide to fit the rail.

1 Like

I’ll probably start with ‘as dimensioned’ and then shave some off if needed.

This is my plan too, until more pics available.

Appreciate the tip/info to help watch out for, and resolve potential fit issues during assembly.

i cut all of mine to the exact length in the cad and as far as I know it all came out just as it should. I didn’t notice anything too wide but I also might not know what to look for lol. Lord knows I’ve had my fair share of self inflicted problems LOL

Am learning a bunch about MP3DP from your build journeys, and appreciate all the details you’re sharing, and issues you’re working through. Cheers!

1 Like

If it weren’t for all the amazing help from this forum it would have been in the trash already. Everyone here went above and beyond like they always do! I do think you are very smart in asking all the questions and figuring out which way to go with what before you actually start building. And Doug was asking some good questions about build plate size and all also that I wish I would have known before hand. My 300x300x400 ended up 290x290x390 because I didn’t know any better lol. Still a very good printer. and I will say the leveling is amazing now that its working. I’ve never had as good of first layers as I do with this printer and I have BLtouch on all my printers.

2 Likes

Is it the 10mm offset you used that made it smaller, or something else?

Has anyone considered using HDPE for the plate that runs between the 3 Z trucks?

If it can handle the heat of the bed and has around the same rigidity as MDF I don’t see why you couldn’t. But I have zero experience with HDPE so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

It doesn’t.

1 Like

Good point. It is pretty flexible.

It’ll get real flexible from the bed heat.

1 Like