NL/DE - Tubing advice

Im wondering about the tubes, Im from the Netherlands and we have “Hornbach” as biggest hardware store which is a German company but they sell either steel 22mm tubes with a 1.2mm thickness or 25mm by 1.5mm aluminum. Got any advice? The docs mpcnc/PParts/#printed-parts-sizes talk about an upgrade to 0.065" so about 1.6mm steel but I have no clue how aluminum compares.

Hey! A fellow Dutch man! I ordered my tubes online in Germany, because I live near the German border. When you don’t, you can try https://metaalshopper.nl or another webshop.

Thanks for the quick reply, I live in Sittard-Geleen, so depending on who you ask I’m either a spare Belgium or a spare German.

I want to be able to make parts of 1m by 50~60cm so I’m thinking of making the workarea at least 110 by 70cm. Any clue on what the thickness needs to (at least) be? I’ll be mainly cutting through wood with a RT0700 as router.

With a size of 110 cm i would take a look at the lowrider3.

I did but, with my very limited knowledge, I thought that would go false/not true/not square/not 90 degrees/crooked.

I bought my tubes for the MPCNC and LR here: https://www.hoerr-edelstahl.de/. They are okay, they actually offer sets for the MPCNC.

But what Kockie said: That’s LowRider territory. :smiley:

I understand this line of thinking but it turns out to not be true. Once you initially square it and configure the pull off values for the endstops, it automatically re-squares the machine every time you home it. The single Y rail is by design to not overconstrain it.

Don’t use aluminum. Too soft.

Ok so, low rider v3, 25mm steel, thickness? I mainly buy plates of 1220x610, 2440x1220 wont fit in my car. Lets make the workspace a little bigger for some clearance, 1240x630, what would the thickness of the tubes be?

Tubes I would need:

• 2 * 810
  • 1 * 1556

3176 mm, so lets say 3.2m

Ø25x1.5 - €3.60 p/m - € 7.2
Ø25x2.0 - €4.57 p/m - € 14.62
Ø25x2.5 - €5.72 p/m - € 18.30

Is there a reason I shouldn’t go with 2.5mm?

Hi, I bought my pipes at RVSonline.nl.
I bought 25x2 mm, and this is sufficient for my 750x750mm MPCNC.

The most flex is in my Z assembly, so thicker tubes would not help that much I guess…

1 Like

Im currently working on a BoM, see LowRider v3 - NL - Google Sheets

What about the strut plates? Looks like I can print al off them, could I use printed versions initially and then buy virgin plates and mill them and replace them?

Hey welcome fellow Dutchy! I ordered 25mm RVS tubes with 2mm sides online.

My tubes are 1400 and 2800 (1220x2440 table) you can use the lowrider calculator to get the right size.

You can print a few to start with and than cut new ones with your LR3.

That’s what I did for mine

Thanks! will do that, currently looking for the rest of the stuff. Having a hard time finding the belts and pulleys

I send you the links, for the dutch amazon.

1 Like