Next Zenxy build ideas

The smallest box from US to Canada is $28, that box easily fits 30 boards though. It is a bummer. Maybe he needs a Canadian distributor. I tried to work something out but I guess my quantities would not really drop the price.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/62780-zenxy-v2-1234

4 Likes

I have most of the build pictures ready to go but that bouncy house took it out of me I am pooped. I will start uploading them asap.

2 Likes

Components ordered (and shipped fast, thanks!). Parts printing. With luck they will be done when the other parts arrive on Friday.

2 Likes

You were right, black paint looks way better than black stain on this inexpensive wood. I have to try some white now.

This is how you’d have to look at it. Alternatively, the board is completely open source. So you could order the pcbs and parts and spend $100, but be able to make ten of them :slight_smile:

It has honestly been a super long time since I configured mine. I probably have the source somewhere, but I was lucky that the esp I flashed 2 years ago (or whatever) was still set to zxy.

I like the video and pic on the prusa printers of my desk. For some reason, it only previews the magnet spacer part in the slideshow at the top.

1 Like

Yeah that seems to be how PP does things it only shows one part of their choosing.

Thank you for the awesome pictures. I am hustling behind the scenes as always, I am sure my table will be done in anywhere from 2 days to 2 months!

1 Like

I was looking into releasing some CAD files, but it seems neither onshape or Fusion import SolidWorks feature tree. I can import files and assemblies but lose all the parametric stuff and even assembly mates. So a step file would be just as useful but there is no easy editing these files for other sizes without the feature tree.

There are solidworks free versions, or EAA discounted educational versions, but the legality of someone using those to edit my files to release them again…well it all is hard to decypher.

I was starting to redraw these in Fusion 360 yesterday so I could piece together an assembly, but maybe I should just wait for you to release the step files. It is good exercise for me to redraw these and was not going to publish the changes, but could send the fusion 360 files to you if you want to look at them when I am done? I didn’t add your logo on it, but could add it if you would like to look at them. I redrew the cross-corner-1a & cross-corner-1b yesterday & noticed a difference in the M5 holes. On cross-corner-1a there are 2-M5 holes that appear to be 5.3mm ID & 2 of them are 5.4mm ID. On cross-corner-1b both M5 holes appear to be 5.0mm ID. Is that by design? I know I quite often make some holes not quite the same by accident.

If I write some software for Linux in C++, I have no requirement to remake it in python or in windows to open source it. But I would get a lot more people to edit or try it if I did.

AFAIK, parametric cad is not at all shareable between programs. But releasing step files at least makes them easier to edit. If you did step, stl, and some parametric solid works format, that would work for most people. Maybe also something like a step, but for the whole assembly? IDK.

I guess maybe you are hoping people can do like I did and make an assembly in the table in CAD. You gave me the assembled thing, but I basically made it again from the major pieces in a new assembly so I could enforce the mating connectors. It wasn’t much work if I ignored all the screws and bearings.

1 Like

It was a tight fit and had to change some things up. I can drop in a fusion assembly pretty easily I think, all the mates are gone but pretty easy to add back in if that is what you prefer?

What I was really hoping for was not having to learn another program to make the reference table design, as well as releasing easily editable zen parts. I guess I will fart around in both and see which makes more sense.

Maybe I am missing something on the build page, or I didnt search this thread hard enough…but what pipe sizes is the V2 designed for?

3/4" EMT for the Y rails, and 1/2" EMT for the X gantry rails. Unless something changed…:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

Part of the “no instructions yet” portion of this stage of the release.

Currently printing parts and have ordered needed bits from the shop. Looking at the current Docs and reading specifically the “Spacers” section, I assume the top of the magnet sits slightly lower than the top of the corners?

Yeah. There is also a screw that pushes the magnet up, so you probably don’t need the magnet spacer. I had a small lip I needed the trucks to clear, so I printed a 2mm spacer for each corner (It starts as 1mm, so easy to scale in the slicer) and then I didn’t need one for the magnet.

2 Likes

I built mine with no spacers needed at all. No spacer for the corners, and none for the magnet. As printed, with a flush surface, and no obstacles to clear it works very well, there is about 2mm of space between the top of the core and the surface, with more than adequate adjustment for the magnet space. On the beta build, there’s about enough room for a business card between the magnet and the bottom of the tabletop.

If, however I had any protruding screws, there wouldn’t be room for those. There were screws holding things together initially, but those were mostly intended to keep things tight until glue set. Once the glue was set and cured, I didn’t need the screws anymore, so I removed them, and sanded everything flush.

2 Likes

Anyone else having problems getting the steppers to mount to the brackets? Seems like I need M3x12 or something instead of the M3x6 that is called in the BOM. Not a big deal, just want to make sure it’s not just me for other future builds.