Newbie - MPCNC Burly

Hi, to say hello to the group and also thank for the information i could already find on the posts.

I just got together my Burly. I bought it 2nd hand with RAMPS - at the test at the seller it worked, getting home not anymore. Seems the Arduino or RAMPS failed. Somehow i was not fully convinced on Ramsp setup and I found a 2nd hand RAMBo 1.4 (with display). All together i got it running over the weekend :slight_smile:

I have now a Burly with ca 330 x 320 x 37mm workspace, Makita spindle. First trials are done with XPS and wood.

The only issue i had was Z-axis out of sync – i found out i have to change M92 steps/unit from 400 to 1600 (might still some fineadjustments to do) and adjust M203 Max feed rate for Z from 30 to 10 (experimental). Quite some learnings for the newbie. Tried to save the settings with M500 but it’s not enabled, so i run the setup script once i start the Rambo.

Software wise – OnShape, CAMLab (or Kiri:moto), cnc.js on Ubuntu.

Kind regards,
Primoz

1 Like

i found out i have to change M92 steps/unit from 400 to 1600 (might still some fineadjustments to do) and adjust M203 Max feed rate for Z from 30 to 10 (experimental).

Does your machine use a threaded rod instead of a lead screw for the Z axis? If it is threaded rod, then this is a pre-Burly machine. I’m not sure what it would take, to upgrade a threaded rod to a lead screw.

You might get some benefit from lowering the microstepping from 16 to 8 and reducing the steps per mm from 1600 to 800. @jeffeb3 commented on this possible change in a post a couple years ago, but I cannot remember if this change was beneficial or not (and I cannot seem to find the post).

Tried to save the settings with M500 but it’s not enabled, so i run the setup script once i start the Rambo.

What version of the firmware are you running? EEPROM_SETTINGS is enabled in all the recent versions of V1 maintained firmware. If you purchased a used Rambo, maybe you need to do a factory reset? Try and M502 followed by an M500.

Arduino or RAMPS failed. Somehow i was not fully convinced on Ramsp setup

A Ramps setup is much easier to damage than a Rambo, though, based on forum posts, there are a lot of Ramps users.

Thanks for your reply @robertbu

Blockquote
Does your machine use a threaded rod instead of a lead screw for the Z axis?
Blockquote

No - it’s a lead screw - 8mm diameter, step 2mm. On lowering the microstepping I thought as well.

Blockquote
What version of the firmware are you running?
Blockquote

Just checked - I have ver 414D bugfix-2.0.x. Seen the recent version is 515 so mine is outdated indeed. I’ll try with the Factory reset.

Your lead screw is 1-start instead of 4-start. Ryan specs the MPCNC for 4-start lead screws. It would be an easy change to go to 4-start. 1-start will give you more Z torque at the cost of feedrate. X-start reference photo.

1 Like

An update to the firmware won’t hurt anything, and you can leave the hardware as is. The 4 start is a little quicker, but you shouldn’t be spending a lot of time lifting or plunging anyway, unless you are 3D carving.

Congrats on the purchase, these machines are fun.

1 Like