New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

Hey Travis. They are ALL noisy. If not to you, they will be to your neighbours. I used to use a KRESS route which was a rock solid reliable router but also noisy. Apart from the watercooled machines I think you will find them all noisy.

A little confused here since 500 mm is about 19.7 inches. 18 x 24 working area seems very reasonable to me.

1 Like

I’m a newbie around here, but it seems like some folks are talking about working area, and others about overall machine size, or at least conduit length. There are lots of recommendations for building at 24x24" overall, but then Ryan referred to a 2’x3’ machine as “giant”. I’m confused too.

1 Like

Sorry jamiek, my fault. My brain did not convert imperial to metric very well. I blame it on early morning and not enough coffee. I look now at 500mm on my desk and it still looks way too small. I guess I have got used to my 900mm x 900mm cutting area. My one aluminium based machine was 500mm x 1000mm usable and that coped well for years in my signage business. I still think of 12" as a ruler on my desk, and that seems really small. My MPCNC is 1400mm x 1400mm total size for the 900x900 usable area.

450 x 600 as a usable cutting area which you proposed would not be a bad size.

Sorry, I have not used ‘old’ sizes in 30 years my fault.

1 Like

It depends on what you want to cut. For aluminum, 24"x36" working area is a huge machine. Probably too big, unless you have a huge amount of patience. For a sign maker, 24"x36" working area is ok. You are risking a bit more tuning and troubleshooting. Some of the novice mistakes don’t make a difference at 24"x24", but they do at 24"x36".

If you’re just cutting wood based sheet goods (ply, mdf, osb), then a 24"x24"x2" working area is great and should be fine, even for beginners.

1 Like

This needs to be in bold and bright Red on the build page.

For 95% of my work load, I don’t even bother using the blocks to square up the machine. Most of the time the machine is still going to be square from the last time I used it. I will occasionally use the blocks to square the machine, but only if I’m having to push the gantry all the way out of the way in order to mount whatever it is I’m cutting. If I’m hand pushing the gantry out of the way, then I’ll go ahead and shove the blocks on there.

Wood is going to expand and contract more in a year, than end stops can help with.

1 Like

I don’t want to get too deep here, because this isn’t the topic for it, but I couldn’t disagree more.. I was very close to giving up on my MPCNC as an expensive lesson until I installed the dual end stops. Such a dramatic difference for a ~$10 kit that takes 2-3 mins to install that I don’t understand the resistance. I wouldn’t use my MPCNC without them, and with them my MPCNC is invaluable.

4 Likes

Looks like interest in the MPCNC Primo is hitting fever pitch. Better tease us with another photo.

No new photos yet. Taking a little break while the guys finish assembly and get them dirty.

I love the look of the new machine Ryan. Really nice job on it!

1 Like

The feedback is coming in, real world numbers, and Barry has already made a few things on two different versions. Now we will see if this is final or needs more tweaks.

Exciting.

6 Likes

You hear that? Its all on you @barry99705 … no pressure!

As excited as I am, I want it right more than I want it right now.

5 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I’ve been planning my initial build at 24x36 overall, or a bit over 12x24 working area. Sounds like this is a reasonable plan, especially if I clamp it at 24x24 overall to learn how it runs. Though I might buy the extra tubing to go to 24x24 working (36x36 overall) at some point.

I’m kinda glad we have more testers this time. I think the last time it was Jeffeb3 and me, or maybe just me? I did a couple carvings, they seemed to come out alright. I need to run a test and see how fast I can push it.

1 Like

…and compare to the 660. I am going to try my spindle out as well and see it there seems to be a difference.

More testers is good. Different, but different good!

1 Like

Do we have a 660 mount yet?

Not yet, If I keep this pace up later I will either work on that or run a cut, won’t be able to do both though.

Finally got a full batch of LR’s up for sale so It is gonna be a little hectic today and tomorrow at least.

1 Like

Glad to hear that. What real world numbers are we measuring here?

Build time? Cutting speeds? Deflection/rigidity?

I don’t have a burly. I think you and I tested the LR1. I haven’t made a new cnc since then. I did test both mp3dps and the zenxy.

1 Like

Not that far yet.
Build time…time to squared up, hopefully a little better than before. The rest, hopefully a little better than before. Don’t hope for double, with V5 we are incrementally trying to improve.

2 Likes