New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

Got the tube from amazon (linked above) for $9.59 per 4’. Seems to be the same as the jegs (all star branded) so hopefully good? Right on spec too! Tubes were mostly packed fine, but I did find some scratches on one.

Next up, picking colors and starting to print. Then ordering upgrade kit :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only ones that matter at all are the legs, and those do not really matter it is just way easier if they are all the exact same length. The rest you could easily be 3/8" off and probably still be fine.

Sorry I think I have the final makita mount printed, but I have not tested it yet. Might not be able to until Sunday. I will post it on all three places when it is ready.

5 Likes

I’m about halfway through printing all my Primo parts, but for some reason cant find cheap metric (M5) screws nearby here in Canada. Is there any reason I couldn’t use 6-32 screws instead since they use a similar sized locknut? They’re just so much cheaper and most of the M5 screws are only axially loaded anyways.

1 Like

I had a thought today. Will the Low Rider also be updated with a new build ?

Your are talking 6-32 (M3 equivalent) to M5.
No you can’t use 6-32 screws

1 Like

I don’t think so.

After shipping/tax, I paid $60 for 3 x 8ft tubes from Jegs, so I think that’s a similar price (assuming ‘free’ Prime shipping). The only difference would be in potential waste with only having 4ft stock.

1 Like

28 hours into the print, here’s to starting again.

2 Likes

Have you received your tubes from metaldepot yet?

Ouch!!

MPCNC Primo
Only for the brave

1 Like

Dang another 70+% printer failure.

Any ideas for a test part, test the printer and maybe test calibration at the same time? What about a cube with roughly the same dimensions as the core, you can print it with sparse infill and that will test the printers bounds and you can measure diagonals to see if they match?

Be honest would anyone do a test print that large? I could make some tweaks to speed it up but it would still be several hours worth of printing.

2 Likes

Vase mode?

7 Likes

That could work!

That would test for mechanical issues and you could carefully measure it, for a reasonable printer perpendicularity test.

2 Likes

What caused that failure?

Or the model itself could be a shell of a cube.

It won’t help random failures on unreliable printers but it would detect cases where high Z has a lurking problem waiting to bite someone.

4 Likes

Would definitly do a testprint

3 Likes

Plus, put a little weight in the bottom and you’ll have a v1 official pencil holder.

6 Likes

So a box that’s 155X80X140 will let you know if you can print. I rounded up the X and Y to the nearest whole number.

2 Likes

Dang, how did you do that so well without CAD? Slicer magic?