New MK4 is out!

Credit cards (and I’m speaking of US versions) have a few small advantages (like a percentage back, fraud protection). But you’re always on a cliff of enormous potential negatives. Not to mention those fractional rewards usually fall on the shoulders of the vendors, not the CC/banks.

I am lucky enough to be in a place where I have paid them off 100% my entire life. But a lot of people don’t understand the consequences of not paying them off. Or they understand and they have no other obvious choices. For all kinds of reasons. Some people use them because they need diapers and have no way to pay for them. But a huge portion of people are paying huge fractions of their income to interest and they would be able to live without them if they just didn’t fall into the hole. Car loans are another huge, similarly sized problem (60 months at 20%! That’s nuts).

They are a scourge on modern life, but I use them exclusively. It is just too convenient to use them.

2 Likes

The only people I know with car notes that bad is because they already had bad credit to begin with. Lenders like to prey on them, and sadly, the reasons they have the bad credit is because they’re still making the bad choices.

We have 1 credit card that we use for the points and cash back options. We currently have a balance on it, but are working to pay it back off.

We also use it for any bill that requires an auto draft… Youtube tv, cell phone, etc.

3 Likes

Credit cards are wild. :smiley: Also cheques, to open that can of worms. I’ve never seen one in my life, because we just use bank transfer (now with my finger as well… :D).

1 Like

Peter,
Now that print is exactly what 3D printing is about to me.
Coming up with something that can be brought, makes peoples life better and costs Cents to do.

Just like those 3D printed namds for kids ( and Adults)

Just amazing time we live in.

Speaking as someone is AUS, and a person that HATES our banking system as they do pray on the less fortunate and i was that person early on in life. I got caught in that spiral of needing money to fix the car, so putting it on the credit card, then getting unemployed and eventually after only paying the minimum until back on your feet, then SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY paying off a huge credit card bill.
You think i would have learnt, but no, i am a bit stupid and went and did almost the same thing again a bit later, after that experience i have never owned one again.

The ex wanted one cos “it made her feel safe to have the ability to get the cash”, after huge argument where I utterly refused to get another one, So she went and got her own. And not long after it was at its limit. Her excuse was “i get it confused with my other cards” , yeah right.
I should have seen that it was the end of that relationship right there, but i didn’t. We grew apart on views and other stuff. still was not pleasant to go through a divorce after 22years.

So now i have 1 and only 1 interest free “deal” running. I pay that off and then i get another. Not quite the same thing, but the last one i did was with LATAUIDE finance, via a big box store in in AUS, Harvey Norman (for a new laptop) i walked into that store with my drivers license, 30 mins later i walked out with a every expensive laptop and $10,000 credit on a Latatide credit card. It took me a couple weeks, believe it of not, to get them to lower the available credit to 2.5 k and its taken me a month to cancel the dam thing now i have paid it off.

So now circling this rambling view into my life back to the subject, I paid for the MK4 out of savings and now I treat that as an interest free and will not by something else major for 6 months.

The MK3 has been workhorse for me, but i will have to say that i have to use glue stick on every print as the first layer just does not stick. Yes i have cleaned the build plate with an inch of its life and even replaced it with another genuine one, but no matter what i try, except for the glue stick, it just lifts on the corners, or detaches completely. So I chose the upgrade as hopefully it will not be a problem again!

I am also probably going to invest in a heated dry box or two, as that has become a major problem as the place the printer lives now is either at work that is not heated (its sorta ina space with a simple door to stop drafts and enclose it, sorta) or 2km from the beach, so moisture is a real problem for my filament.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already:

I’m still not convinced that the heated dry box is any better than my second hand KMart food dehydrator, I’m still pondering building a cupboard with one of those cheap dehumidifiers in it, and I’m still putting up with filament at around 30% RH in my DRY boxes.

I went with this one
I didn’t think I could build one for the cost.

Sovol Filament Dryer, SH01… Amazon.com

1 Like

Lol, yeah i use a dehydrator now, thats how i found it was a problem.
I was going to to use the ziplock bags to store them and maybe a plastic tub etc, but I was thinking of the heated dry box for those long prints and keeping the filament i am using dry between prints.

The dehydrator works fine for my uses, but with the upgrade to the MK3.9 i was thinking that i might “up my game a bit” due to having quite high humidity etc. but we will see.

Good luck.

I’ve been using this one to dry filament over night. The new printer has an enclosure and the filament fits inside while printing. The printer warms up pretty good while printing. I should put a humidity monitor in there to see how well it’s working.

Damm that is cheap!
good find. I will start looking at that again when the printer is running after the Prusa3.9 upgrade… in a couple months… sigh.

I’ve been seriously looking at the Eibos Cyclops for almost three times that price (therefore I’ve been seriously looking at it for two years and it hasn’t cost a cent) - I think the difference in performance is down to the Eibos having a proper inlet and outlet setup, so I’m contemplating whether to get a Sovol and have a bit of quality time with my hole saw.
Just to complete the hijack-

I built them myself with IKEA boxes and they work great.

1 Like

Did you use heating and a fan in your fancy schmancy boxes?
I’ve asked that question at the original thread!

I’ve been worrying that the order ID is actually a counter. Looking at the shipping schedules, I’ve been thinking that there’s been tens of thousands of orders before mine. I ordered on the evening of the 12th of april, so I’ve been confused about how they’re going to ship that many printers and still keep to schedule. WELL - stupid me - I just figured out that the order number is actually tied to the precise time of day of your order! SO, I’m not in the first shipping batch that begun on the 12th, but I think some of your guys are! My shipping tier starts next week. Exciting!!

I was an hours too late for the first batch… -_-

Haha, impatience truly is fascinating! Are you going for the new firmware? Or are you waiting for a stable version? I’ve never cared much about pushing the speeds, but it’s really neat with the input shaping. I wouldn’t NOT use faster option in the end.

Absolutely. :joy: I love making the LR go vroom at too fast, time is money with 4 kids. :smiley: Half an hour in the shop? That print better be ready!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

4 kids… I really don’t understand how it’s possible this day and age!

Be too stupid to use contraceptives and it’s easy… :sweat_smile:

Can you elaborate on your concerns with the XL?

I’m looking at options for replacing our printer at work and the XL seems like a leading candidate, currently, mostly on the back of build area and the tool-changer approach to filament changes seeming particularly flexible.

1 Like