New LR3 from France

Hello everyone,

My name is Yves and I’m from France. It’s been a while since I wanted to start building a CNC, my choice fell on the lowrider V3 with a machinable surface of 160cm x 80cm.
For the moment, I’m having no trouble assembling it, the documentation is well done, but I wouldn’t hesitate to ask for your help.

I’ve seen a lot of upgrades on github and Printables, what do you think are the most useful?

8 Likes

A better dust shoe. @DougJoseph has got a good (though a little bit more complicated one), I have one that basically just adds TPU bristles.
Besides that I did not mod anything on my LowRider and have been using it as is, it’s a pretty capable machine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tiens un compatriote :smiley:

Concerning mods, it’s a bit too late for Doug’s braces with trapped nuts, but you can print Peter’s trapped nut add-on
Those make life a lot easier when it comes to installing the strut plates

For tidyness, I’d also print peter’s cable trays, and I’m personally a big fan of encapsulating the AC adaptor inside the gantry, so maybe print this or make something similar (my psu is just zip-tied to the strut plate and it works jsut fine…)
Cable chains for X axis also helps a lot for a clean looking build, but I’m yet to find one that really works for me…

And lastly, I did a simple mod on mine - maybe not too consensual - by using 1mm pitch leadscrews
using these, the gantry will never ever fall down on it’s own weight
The Z axis works twice as much (speed-wise, torque-wise there’s a lot less load) and it can be a problem with 3D carving, but other than that, I never had any problem with this choice

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! You’re off to a great start!! That size of machine will be great.

Here’s a link to all my printable remixes and/or designs for the LowRider:
https://www.printables.com/@DougJosephdesign8stu/models?query=lowrider

My advice is to build it stock first and learn the basics. Then you will have first hand knowledge of which modifications you would prefer to tackle first.

7 Likes

bienvenue

1 Like

Welcome!

Agree 100%.

3 Likes

I think there needs to be a cnc and lr map so we can put pins on it by zip code where all the builds are!!! Would love to see it!

2 Likes

we tried a couple times, not as easy as it sounds.

Funnily enough I suggested that three years ago and was told the same thing. :smiley:

1 Like

the crown is done, I’m waiting to receive the end mills.

I’d like to take this opportunity to ask a few questions about fluidNC:

-Is it possible to add a button that could be used as an emergency stop?

-I’d like to create a macro so that once I’ve finished the machine faces home and then moves to a parking position.

For the Z axis, is the parking position better at the top or at the bottom?

Thanks in advance.

I’d also like to thank Doug Joseph (design8studio) for these very explanatory videos.

2 Likes

Yes. The most simple version of this is the switch on a power strip.

You can add whatever you want to your ending g code in your cam program

2 Likes

Hello Yves,
I’m french too.
I would like to build an LR3. Which router have you chosen, Have you printed all the parts by yourself?
Nicolas

1 Like

Hello,

i cut my strut for my lowrider V3 the cut had to be 1000mm long and i got 998mm on the 3.

The width measurement is correct.

Is there an adjustment to be made to correct the problem or is it within tolerances?

Do I have to redo the squarring once the struts are installed?