New LR3 Build Question/Request for Information WiFi module

I recently bought an SKR Pro 1.2 board and screen from the V1 shop. I also bought the wireless module (ESP-01s - ESP3D / ESPUI Headless – V1 Engineering Inc).

I have successfully wired my SKR and TFT screen and they operate as expected when the wireless module is not installed. However, when I plug in the wireless module, upon power up, the V1 Engineering logo displays on the TFT, and then it goes black, the logo appears again, it goes black, ad infinitum. It appears to be in some sort of endless loop that never reaches the menu. If I disconnect the wireless module, I always reach the menu.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? I’ve looked while the machine is in it’s logo/no logo loop and there is no “V1 CNC” access point available. Removing the module from the board lets me operate, but I’d like to get the WiFi enabled.

Thanks for the help…

Edit: add firmware information

System: Marlin 515DL 2.2.1 (Sep 25 2022 17:41:34)
Machine: V1CNC 515DL
Board: BIGTREETECH_GD_TFT35_E3_V3.0
Firmware: V27.x Feb 15 2023 in 120Mhz
SPIFlash: Used 96.7% (7.74MB/8MB)

2 Likes

I am not familiar with the V1 shop displays… do you plug the esp module into the skr board or the display? The ESP module is pretty power hungry and is known to cause boot-loops (continual re-starts) as it causes ‘brownouts’. How are you powering the device?

Where you connect the wireless module, on the board?

Put mine on the SKR controller board, similar to this…

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. To answer some questions:

Mine was delivered installed on the SKR board, exactly like the picture from Aza B2C.

I tried two different power supplies: a 12V 60W unit and a 24V 72W unit. Both exhibited the same results with the “reboot” phenomenon. I liked the thinking that the power was inadequate – but with the same result on two different power supplies, I didn’t give much thought to the the possibility that both were inadequate. I’ll try to find another power supply to try.

That’s it! And it work fine. Attention to the baud rate.

1 Like

Yeah, Baud rate mismatch between Marlin and ESP3D bit me before as well.

I tried a higher wattage power supply and still had the same phenomenon. With three different power supplies, I’m thinking this isn’t power related.

Follow-up question on baud rate:
On the baud rate mismatch, can someone attach a picture or link to instructions? I’m not quite tracking where that would be configured…

Short: Not sure what next steps to suggest for you.

Long:

Hey @jswartz, you shouldn’t need to change baud rate for Marlin and/or ESP3D since you bought hardware from V1E shop that’s already configured, with firmware already installed.

For other people reading (who are starting from scratch, and/or editing Marlin configuration/code, compiling and copying firmware to these devices), they’d need to ensure Marlin’s configuration.h #define BAUDRATE matches what ESP3D is configured with. ESP3D defaults to 115200, but can be changed if you’re compiling that too, or, after you connect to the ESP3D Web UI. A baud rate mismatch would result in Web UI not being able to communicate with the controller. However, the behavior you’re seeing (TFT/controller rebooting) sounds like different symptom/cause to me.

Got it. Thanks for the follow-up.