New LowRider2 build from Tenerife, Spain

Hi everybody,

The first thing I want to say is thank you for sharing this fabulous design.

I had been thinking about building a CNC for quite some time, and when I discovered the low rider, I fell in love.

It’s been a friendly construction process, I have no idea about CNC, so now it’s time to learn, learn, learn. At the moment everything is going well, now after initial tests drawing, it’s time to move on to the milling machine.

By the way, sorry for my English as a translator, I’m Spanish so please be patient with me XDD

Regads
Roger

6 Likes

Welcome!

The machine looks great. Bender looks great too.

1 Like

Welcome! Nice looking build. Will be great to see what you make with it.

1 Like

Take your time, have fun, lots to learn but you can do it in small doses.

I miss that show, Bender!!

1 Like

Thank you all very much for your welcome. :blush:

Greetings again,

The first cutting test was a success. The board is a bit ugly because it’s recycled, an old painting.

I’m very happy with the machine. Now, watching it work, I am even more aware of the importance of a suction system, that will be the next thing.

Regards
Roger

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

New updates:

-Dust shoe
-Spoil board
-Stop emergency button

Greetings
Roger

3 Likes

Looks sharp. What is going on with the huge wood rests?

Hi, Jeffeb3,

When the machine is off, the z-axis falls under its own weight. Those pieces of wood limit the fall, so the new dust shoe isn’t crushed. Is that what you meant?

At the moment the suction tube is connected to a conventional vacuum cleaner. Of course it’s only temporary, I’m looking at the issue of cyclone vacuum cleaners.

2 Likes

I Like it. E-stop, nice, the skirt for dust control Also a Nice idea. How did you hook up the E-stop? I use blocks under the Z also. I Park it after I have run it for a while, so the X axis stays the same. I have a single endstop and dead stops so I can re-align, but the E-stop. Good idea instead of running around and hitting all the breakers.

Well done

1 Like

Hi EfishNc,

I’m glad you like it. The E-Stop is not yet connected/wired, but it’s not difficult, the button I have is this one:

emergency-stop-push-button-switch-500x500

You can use the green or orange end (or both if you need to, of course). I’m going to use the orange one, that way when I press the button, the electric power is interrupted. The green end works in reverse.

My idea is that by pressing the button I cut the general power of all the elements involved in the work, CNC, milling machine, vacuum cleaner, etc.

Excuse my English as a translator.

Regards
Roger

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from New LowRider2 build from Tenerife, Spain:

Ok, Thanks for the pics. Will look into it

Also, in regards to the cyclone vacuum system, I purchased a plastic one that sits on top of a bucket, $20.00, however, there are a lot of good videos on how to make your own, just by putting holes in buckets. My first attempt, the bucket tried to go all black hole on me and suck itself in. Solution, just put that bucket in another bucket then the first bucket acts like a diaphragm, and the second bucket keeps it stationary

English is spot on, so don’t apologize.
Be creative and have fun!

3 Likes

Hi,

I think I’m going to try to make my own cyclone filter as you said. If the result isn’t good, I’ll buy one like the one in your picture.

Thank you very much for the information.

I’m actually having a lot of fun with this project :yum:

cheers.

I do know the cyclones pictured work better than the ones that just use a bucket, but the bucket ones work better than none!

1 Like

Hi Barry,

I’m already in the process of printing this:

I liked it, and having a 3d printer… why not? I’ve been looking at the comments of people who’ve used it, and it seems to work well.

cheers.

4 Likes

Cool!

1 Like

Hi again,

These are my new developments:

-Cyclonic filter
-Emergency stop button connected to a basic switch panel
-Spoil board clamps

Greetings
Roger

1 Like

One of your first jobs should be a round stiffener for the bucket top. My dust deputy is now on a plywood base that’s cut to fit the bucket. The plastic lid will fail. All the flexing will stress the lid and it will crack.

1 Like

Thanks Barry!,

it would have happened to me for sure, so it’s time to do that job.

I see holes in your lid? Are they there for a reason?

I forgot, I actually made a new lid. It’s all plywood with a groove where the bucket sits on the bottom filled with silicone.

No, those are just drips of gorilla glue. I pulled the whole thing over and broke the top of the dust deputy.
Also, double bucket! If not the bucket will get warm from all the crap swirling around inside and collapse.

2 Likes