New lowrider builder basic issues

I have some of the ESP01S modules, based on an ESP8266. It adds wifi, and there’s a port on the SKR Pro 1.2, as well as one on the TFT35 E3. If it’s on the motherboard, it can only access the SD card on the motherboard, but when added to the TFT35 E3, it can access the SD card there, or the USB port.

If you add it to the motherboard, you need to recompile the firmware with the wifi serial port activated. With the TFT, you only need to update the config file (Put it on an SD card and turn it on)

This has some downsides. It only works in TFT mode, not in Marlin mode. There still seems to be some funny business around filename limitations on the SD card with the firmware that I found. Last but not least, you’ll need an FTDI interface to flash the ESP01S module. I did OK with a USB to serial adapter that I had onhand, though. Still, the ability to transfer files to the machine over wifi is great when the machine is on a different floor than the computer you use to do your CAD/CAM.

yes, the idea is to keep my main computer out of the room because i dont want to clean my pc daily for all the dust. but if its a pain in the ( * ) im going to keep a raspberry pi hardwired to the board instead and place a wifi repeater in range and call it a day!

1 Like

The nice thing with this is it’s cheap.

A Raspberry Pi with Octoprint or the V1Pi project is definitely easier. I used Pi3A for a long time and was reasonably happy with it, except then I needed a wifi device (My phone) to start the jobs I uploaded to it.

Eventually, I went to the even more expensive solution of changing over my hardware to Duet with RepRapFirmware which can be controlled locally through the panel to cut jobs uploaded over wifi.

i have my pi already running cnc.js but i dont know if i want it to be installed to the LR it self, maybe iwll just get a really long usb extension :stuck_out_tongue:

Resoldered the limit switches, and replaced the placement for the z limit switches, pre-printed those parts now printing the new y limit switches holder for the y axis because im using the old stile yplates with 4 wheels (old but allows a more firm axis imo)

This is what I came up with to solve that issue… I’ve been happy with it:

With almost 2 successful :crown: test i think the machine is perfect… Have to sit and make and 3d print a pencil holder

In the last one the pencil was moving like crazy

2 Likes

I can call it a day, the pencil still moved but thats more than enough. Now im going to do some squares to check the squaring of the machine

Edit: it was perfectly square

Also the crown over some wood

Waiting amazon to deliver some cutting bits and the spoil board surfacing bit :heart_eyes: cant wait to begin experimenting with pdvf anf soft woods

3 Likes

When it comes to drawing on the MPCNC, I’ve had good luck with this pen holder.

If you want to get fancy, this one has a provision to act like a probe, so you can automatically set the tool height.

(I tested them and the thingiverse links were working fine when I posted, sorry if they don’t work later on.)

The machine worked fine while using a small area (short distance of the Y axis)
but when i moved the machine to the max and try to home the y axis it only moves 90 cm and then the tft screen displays an error:

90cm might be the new value for 513. Unfortunately, that isn’t something you can change easily. You have to change the bed size and recompile the firmware. We can’t put it at 10m or something, because then it would try for 10m if something was wrong with the switches.

That is totally normal though. Nothing unexpected. You can either recompile the firmware, or put an X on your spoil board at 900,900 and just jog the machine inside the X before homing.

Ok, then i guess i’ll have to recompile and flash the firmware because i aimed to a full sheet (2400mm ) y axis

Could you help me and point in the right direction with it?

You are looking for the variables X_BED_SIZE and Y_BED_SIZE in the Configuration.h file in Marlin.

Honestly, though, I just push my machine towards the home corner before homing it anyway. I like to have a feel for the rolling resistance of the machine, it lets me feel if there are mechanical issues before starting things up. With gthe motors unpowered, it moves quite easily by hand, and I know what it should feel like.

Thanks, but wouldn’t that make the machine to have issues while its working on a big job if it have to come backwards and stops? Or it will only happen when its homing?

Could i use the dual endstops firmware and just change those settings and recompile right?

This is only a homing issue. Thge bed size is used for that, and if soft stops are enabled (And in V1 firmware they are not.) V1 firmware will not stop the router from going places that it really should not, so the onus is on you while you are doing your CAM and setting up the job to make sure that it fits in the addressable area.If you need something else in the firmware that requires a recompile, then fix it then, but I probably wouldn’t worry about it for now.

had 2 warnings but it compiled should i ignore them?

Yep

I’m not familiar with those. Which firmware did you start with? It’s very possible our firmware compile with those warnings and still made it to the releases page, in which case, it is fine (or we would have seen problems by now). If you didn’t start with firmware from marlinbuilder releases, then maybe it is something new (in bugfix, for example).

I used the firmware in the zipfile for the skr …lr with the drivers i use.

SKR, SKR Turbo, and SKR Pro are all different boartds, different CPU and different pin diagrams, gott abe careful with those…