New Dust Shoe Design

Im in the process of making a dust shoe design that mounts to the main xy frame instead of the tool. All the dust shoes ive seen mount to the tool itself. The issue here is there is more pressure and leverage put on the Z axis with the vacuum hose.

My design will mount to the Main XY frame minimising that leverage. It uses a 40mm diameter PVC pipe as the main axis. 2 brackets mounting to the existing mounting points for bearings on the main frame, and a bottom shoe.

I haven’t sorted the brush yet, but i will post that up once sorted.

The spindle/trim router will pass through the opening as it moves up and down. there should be enough suction from the vacuum so that dust doesn’t exit through the openings, but if this is a problem. we can always add more brush for the trim router to pass through and seal the hole better.

I had the same idea when designing mine.

At the end of the day, I decided to just mount it to the spindle mount. Then I hung the shop vac hose from a gantry above the machine. That takes all the weight off the CNC machine completely except for the small piece of PVC that I used to get the shop vac down to below the spindle.

How will you adjust the shoe height for different thicknesses of material to cut? Ideally, you’ll have some way of raising/lowering the shoe so that it just clears the top of the work surface.

forgot about this post.

The two plastic brackets holding the PVC pipe are loose enough to just clamp the pipe. but i can still slide it up and down. thats my way of adjusting the height of the dust shoe