Neat!

That would be perfect for me. I really want to learn how to weld, but I don’t like the metal working mess. This is ideal!

There’s a joke that software engineers all want to buy a farm raising goats and retire. But I think we all secretly want to play with the welding simulator.

I wonder if my local school has one.

One of my computer vision projects was measuring the width of a weld pool in an IR camera attached to a welding 6dof robot. But never the opposite problem (simulation is sort of the opposite of computer vision).

1 Like

Yes it is, more fun than an RC car I reckon. This thing is stupidly real to use too. More info:_ Welding Simulator | SOLDAMATIC | Seabery

1 Like

If you choose baggy flannel shirts in the character select screen will you catch fire?

1 Like

This whole channel is pretty cool

2 Likes

I went to welding night classes and we used a welding simulator- the screen was built into a fake welding mask. It was from one of the welding manufacturers, the red one. I want to say Lincoln? Pretty cool.

3 Likes

For any random fitting you need to make, this OpenSCAD parametric file is really cool. I do not use openscad, but I was able to install it and spit out a simple fitting in <30min. Good for dust collection fittings.
Options:

• Connector: Hose adapter
  • Connector: Magnet hose connector
  • Connector: DysonV6
  • Connector: Flange
  • Connector: Nozzle
  • Transition: Straight tapered
  • Transition: Angled
  • Transition: 1 to many

https://www.printables.com/model/282014-parametric-vacuum-hose-connector-with-magnetic-con

2 Likes

Here are some of the fittings I printed. Everything seen was designed with the openscad file. I don’t have a good picture of it, but my favorite is at the bottom it is a 90deg elbow that goes from circular to rectangular x-section and includes an option to put a flat spot at a 45deg so it does not need supports to print.

2 Likes

I’ve only caught myself on fire once while welding. :rofl:

2 Likes

so seeing the double nozzle, (and i have seen it alot and never thought of this before), I wonder what would happen if one nozzle lightly blew air to the suction nozzle, so there would be a circulation affect.

just a wild thought, maybe this summer I can try it.

as a software engineer i bought 20 acres last year, then chickens and a welder lol

2 Likes

what if the 2 nozzles were offset so they encouraged the cyclone already in process from the cutter?

Well maybe this summer i can try and find out.

You need a cutting torch and grinder. Start a lot more :fire:Wife has made me throw out so many ‘confortable’ shirts and jackets because of all the burned holes.

1 Like

One of my favorite channels.

I saw that Milo video before, and thought the same “it only cuts a napkin” BUTTTT I also had an idea to make a LR3 style gantry on a croxy set up like the primo. Belts wouldnt be an issue, but the struts would be. So it might be more feasible to make a core that takes 2 rails in each direction, then brace them off at the trucks. But is it really needed?

Livin’ the Dream

1 Like
1 Like

What if one side had more restriction so you get a pressure difference? Might be the same effect and easier to implement.

1 Like

This guy is just… wow. A living CNC Machine. I didn’t know this was possible.

3 Likes

[quote=“Philipp, post:409, topic:7380, username:Tokoloshe”]

A living CNC Machine. I didn’t know this was possible.

That’s a really nice conclusion too - and it sums up pretty well why my LR3 is really a tool for special jobs rather than the general all-rounder it is for many of you guys.

I have the tools and experience to cut stuff by hand mostly in the time it would take to make a drawing let alone mucking around with CAM, BUT as a hobbyist the tools and experience took a lifetime to acquire and of course mostly I am happy with accuracy to the width of a thick Sharpie.

There is joy and satisfaction either way, and I suspect as my brain gets foggier and my hands shakier, automation will become more important!

On that note, we completed our tour of a couple more campuses of that school this week and last with a visit to the robotics and controls kids, and probably coolest of all - the cyber-security labs, where two teams pit themselves against each other to take control of the services in a Lego city!

2 Likes