My 1st lowrider2 pipe + electronics help

Hey all. I’m building my 1st CNC and lowrider2 looks awesome. I have some questions
Q1. Why conduit is not used? The was no explanation I can find.
I was at HomeDepot today and saw Rigit Conduit at $19 at 10 foot. I tried it and it fit in, was a bit tight but it worked. Or is there STL set for 23.5mm conduit?

Q2. Electronics. Will BIGTREETECH SKR PRO V1.1 work for lowrider2?
For the board I was thinking to get
BIGTREETECH SKR PRO V1.1 32Bit Control+TFT35 Touch Screen+ drivers
Will it work? and what drivers you suggest?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

The explanation from Ryan is buried in the forums someplace. But basically, with the Low Riders being 5’ long, there isn’t much sense in using 3/4" ID conduit piping . The LR Uses either 25mm OD Tubing or 25.4mm OD Tubing. 1" conduit is 1" ID, and won’t fit.

Yes, but you’re pretty much on your own for configuring the software. The Rambo, MiniRambo, Archim, all have preconfigured software versions on Ryan’s github.

2 Likes

Tried 3/4" x 10’ and it worked

For lowrider? Really?

And also, where are you that conduit is so expensive? Hawaii? It should be more like $6

2 Likes

Hey Jamie. I took my calipers to HomeDepo the other day and the 3/4 conduit will not work. This is a correction. I posted the correction further down the thread. However, one should always measure parts that they want to use. I found some steel tube that measured in at 25.4 mm and it was called 1" tubbing. That as it turns out works for me. I love making shavings. :smiley: For me the weight of the tubbing is no issue. For others that need productivity that may be an issue. I plan on weighing the SS stock here in town when i get around to it. Check out my post in a bit. Yet another new LR2 build. I just started printing parts. Good luck and hope yours turnes out great. Oh by the way. I think the steel will look cool once i have it primed and painted black this weekend.

Ok measuring the conduit OD is the right way to do it. If it is 25.4 mm then it qualifies as 1" OD tube because it is.

All EMT conduit I have ever seen that is called 3/4 inch is about 23.5 mm OD and it would be a problem for LR2 if it were 23.5. There is no common conduit size (in the US, imperial units) that is 25 or 25.4 mm OD so EMT conduit in the US usually does not fit.

Maybe that explains the extra cost too. Maybe “Rigid” is some special kind of conduit for cnc machines?

1 Like

Could be, maybe 3/4" ID and 1/8" wall thickness…

1 Like

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-10-ft-Rigid-Metal-Conduit-0543910000/202068050

Varies by location… Now I need to bring my calipers to HD…

This says 1.05" (26.67mm) OD. Maybe McMaster Carr is just selling nicer stuff? They have non stainless too, for $20/5ft.

IMC is in between, with 1.03" (26.2mm)

I also visited a CED locally a long time ago, which is a supplier for local electricians, but I never measured their conduit. I may have to go back.

I think this might be an interesting option for people at least in some places.

1 Like

Rigid conduit is just another name for standard, somewhat thicker walled conduit; it’s very common up here and is the only option I commonly see other than PVC conduit.

I kinda doubt that the Home Despot is carrying anything meant for CNC :wink:

Hey Jeffeb3 if you like I can show you through a video of the bearings at work on my pipe. It is steel and a bit thicker than the .065. It is one step up. Anyways the conduit/pipe is very ridged. I would not mind. :smiley: Take care. I have the Huskey calipers that go out 2 decimals.

Mine is too big…

I believe you. The stuff here in CO is just a bit thicker, I guess.

Hey Jeffeb3, I only posted to try to help ppl. First first point is just take your calipers with you and measure. Measure 3 times and make sure 4 times. :smiley: Anyways I have a video of the steel I purchased. However I checked homedepo first then went to California Steel near my house and decided on the steel over the Home Depo stuff If I had purchased the Home Depo stuff I would have been upset. lol my bad. Updated link to the video. Should work now

Additionally Jeff I will include the purchase info if allowed so everyone will know what it was I saw and not confuse it with a different item. That includes me. I may have been looking at a different item other than emc. yup i was wrong.

1 Like

That video is marked private.

AFAIK, there are several regional suppliers of conduit. Our Lowes sells the same as HD, and different than what is sold in CA, for example. I’m sure the NV stuff is a little different.

NO buddy I got pie in the eye on that one. You are correct and I will amend my previous statement so not to confuse people. I honestly thought I had found a conduit or water pipe that would work. I did not. Unfortunately I have RA (Rhumatoid Arthritus) and it can affect my memory from time to time. Well I think the RA hit. Again sorry about that. I will figure out what to do about that video in a sec. I just came back from home depot and was checking myself and my measurements. Really sorry about the bad info.

2 Likes

short video of bearings and caliper this should work now. I have not posted anything on Youtube in years. I will have to find a good tutorial and follow it.

Why have I never thought to color in the logos?!

2 Likes

Ok I have been painting poorly my D&D figurines. I print them up from Miguel Zavalas site. :smiley: anywyas I waiting for stuff to finish off last night and said what the heck. My hands are so shakey. lol

Hey, no worries. I was headed to HD anyway, so all I had to do was remember the calipers. Now that I think about it, the OD needs to be consistent because they screw together. I should have thought of that.

The painted logos look great.

I bet you all mentioned this in the past posts. But gas pipe the black type may also suit your needs. I know we get a lot of it from China. It is standard through out the U.S.A. and it follows many ICC codes meaning International Code Council. So what that means in lamens is that the amount of gas provided to an appliance equals x amount of BTU’s. The sizes are international in many countrys. Although conduit may also follow that kind of logic it is not made the same as gas pipe due to its heavy requirements of safty.