Mpcnc parts... Holes are skewed?

MP3DP is cranking now… Minor (possibly major)question:

The holes are ovals with the flats in the z plane (top and bottom) during printing. Is this a slicer problem (prusa slicer) or a hardware problem? These are replacements for a pair of cracked ones I’m currently using. I could drill them out just a bit so the bolts will fit, but that doesn’t seem right.

0.45 layer height
0.6 mm nozzle.

Looks like I botched the infill setting so they need to be reprinted anyway.

There are many more people here more versed that me with this. But I would bet that tall layer height is what’s causing that. I print just about exclusively with a .6 nozzle but at a .3 layer height usually. I will bump up to .4 for draft stuff that doesn’t have holes or anything that truly matters. Try printing one at .3 and see if it makes any difference.

0.6 nozzle here. I print at 0.24 for high quality stuff, and 0.36 for lower quality. I printed some of my LR3 parts at 0.36.

Is it just the holes that have sunk? or do you have problems with Z heights being accurate overall? Have you done calibration prints of similar scale to this that prove that it’s dimensionally accurate in Z?

I’ve seen that oval shape happen before when Z motion was not accurate

1 Like

Wait…is that Silk PLA? If so that’s known to swell after printing as well.

Either way if it were me I would drill it out and send it. But always good to find out why so you know what to do different next time

I think you will be fine.

I Silks can be real weird to print with. Chances are the holes are fine, if anything extra snug.

Z calibration looks good. Just looks like the holes got sliced wrong. Seems like if it was a print defect it would be less consistent. I’ll back down the layer height and try not to bite my nails for the extra 3 hours to print the parts next time.

Thanks everyone for the input and feedback. I really appreciate your responses.