MPCNC add-on DW660 mount with vacuum attachment

Duplicate post…

Had time to finish up enough of the burly vacjet to make some 1.5" square test cuts in 1/2 inch ply. Inital cuts looked good. Even with the far from optimal ziptied hose management the sizing of the parts looked just about spot on. Still a few kinks to work out though:

Length of skirt relative to depth of cuts
Angle / placement of the air jet
Skirt material that everyone is using in this thread is really rigid stuff. So rigid that I think it may be worth thinning out to reduce the force needed for it to flex and give during cuts.
I’m going to go through a few more iterations over the coming days/weeks and publish the drawings / STLs thereafter. So far the design hasn’t required the use of any supports while printing. Hoping to keep it that way.

[attachment file=“85241”]
[attachment file=“85242”]
[attachment file=85265]
[attachment file=85266]

This worthy of it’s own thread or shall I continue hijack this one?

The shoe still needs a bit of tuning but I’m very happy with the progress thus far. Made several aluminum cuts today with no gumming up of the bit. I do need to run another circuit in the garage, however. Managed to start popping breakers with the compressor, vac, and router all running simultaneously.

Short clip of the air jet doing its thing in some 1/8" aluminum: https://imgur.com/T29XnOb

2 Likes

@Bruh, It seems as though the version you have created allows for an overall depth of cut of at least 1/2"? Can you confirm the max depth of cut with your design? Tom Cole claims his design can do a max of 1.5cm, just a little over a 1/2". I’d like to print the design that affords me the deepest cut possible.

Also, it doesn’t appear as though you have posted your files for download, am I missing them somewhere?

@cncjim

Here is the onshape document that I’ve been working out of: Onshape

I can’t confirm the max DOC though I have cut 1/2" ply with that design. The brush material that everyone in this thread uses is pretty stiff. If I did it again I’d go with something softer. You’ll lose z steps if you plunge into material far enough because the brush doesn’t flex.

You can play with the (poorly named) “Extrude 9” in that document to match your depth needs.

1 Like

@bruh, that onshape site is… slow… I signed up for the free account and got one email stating they would send me another email with my account information, couple days later now and I’m still waiting. Anyway you could post an STP or IGES file here?

I just created my own version…

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3511509

@cncjim

Here’s an STL of the lower mount with with fittings for the air jet.

660_Low_Mount_Air_V3.stl_.zip (3.08 MB)

2 Likes

Where is the bottom mount link for the dw660? I can only find the spindle one.

I hope this isn’t a silly question but I’ve been wondering, I’m waiting on a 3D printer and have never handled anything printed with a flexible filament material but is the material flexible and light enough to print a strip with ‘bristles’ or maybe separate segments ~1-2 mm wide that could be wrapped around the bottom of the shoe rather than trying to source a strip of brush somewhere?

@catogagen has done exactly that. There are a couple of examples in the forum history. My search-and-quote fu isn’t up to scratch or I’d provide more links. Try searching “flexible” and “brush”

Thanks! I guess I need a little work on searching.

The best Idea I saw was that rubber type of construction paper from a hobby store. Just hot glue it to the outside of the DC to make a skirt.

2 Likes

Boy, have I been out of touch. I had no idea such a thing even existed but it sounds like it may very possibly be a plan.

I don’t know how to describe the stuff. It comes in colors, it is made out of some kind of rubber or plastic. It comes in letter sized sheets. People use it to cut out stencils, or like high quality construction paper. It isn’t as “fabric-y” as felt, and it is thicker than construction paper.

What Jeff mentioned is EVA foam and it sounds like a great idea. The brush bristles are stiff and can cause issues with Z height once they start touching your material. EVA foam is very pliable.

3 Likes

Yes, thank you:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBRX97Z

(these are very cheap at a local store, and you don’t need 80 sheets).

Thanks all! Sounds like something to put in my planning, I’m pretty much a believer in KISS engineering whenever possible.

I’ve used eva foam for dust ruffles but it’s a little soft and quickly gets sucked into the orifice and plugs up. I tried leather, same thing. I did two layers of polyester felt cut in strips and that was ok, but still not stiff enough. I need bristles.

1 Like

I don’t use a 660 anymore, I’m using a 611 on a Shapeoko now. (mpcnc is now a lowrider) I reworked an existing vac adapter for the 611 to include a brush - the same brush I used with my 660 mount. The brush was rigidly attached to the vac adapter and the vac adapter was rigidly mounted to the 611. I had to make it to where the brush could float up and down and rotate a bit because whenever the machine made a 180° move on the xy plane, the brush bristles would actually lift the entire z axis! I never encountered this with the 660, but it may happen to some degree and flexible brush material might be worth a try.

This is most likely a totally dumb question, does this work on the Primo? Or has it been adapted to fit the mount? Thanks in advance.

–BA

1 Like