MP3DP v4 - OOznest T/V Slot Profile, Cutting Lengths for 250 mm^3 bed

Good Evening All,

Whilst I am a serial project starter, I’m not the greatest at finishing. So, after finding a lot of printed parts from last year for a MP3DP v4, I thought I’d actually start the build properly (and finish it).

Based out of the UK, and looking to be a bit careful with money this Christmas (ha!) so will be buying things bit by bit.

Currently looking at Ooznest T/V slot profile.

(I’d stick a link here, but, irritatingly, I’m not allowed to include links in my post)

From what I’ve read, I can’t see anything that would preclude the use of this profile in a successful build. It gets bonus points for being available to order cheaply in pre-cut lengths.

My questions to the hive mind on here:

1. Ooznest T/V Slot - am I correct in my assessment or not?

2. I’ve had a play with Fusion 360, and come up with the following lengths of extrusion I need for a 250 x 250 x 250 build area:

7 off 420 mm
4 off 395 mm
3 off 355 mm

Made up of:

X Direction: 3 off at 420 mm
Y Direction: 4 off at 420 mm
Z direction: 4 off at 395 mm, 3 off at 355 mm

Is this correct? I’ve double checked with Linear Rail dimensions and ensured they’re what they should be in the CAD, so I’m happy it’s generated OK.

If this is all good, I’ll get things ordered, and then get on AliExpress to source other bits and pieces (or just hunt around and see what I have at home - I’ve got a half built LR2 that needs finishing at some point - I got it as far as “now I need to build a table… but first I ought to tile the garage floor… and then maybe a new garage door…”

Many thanks!

1 Like

Welcome @Carnivac !

RE1) Looks good to me, maybe…

This stuff? 20x20mm T/V-Slot Aluminium Extrusion Profile - Ooznest , the profile dimensions look like regular 2020 Alu extrusion that I’d use. Recommend comparing with dimension specs for 2020 on amzn/zyltech, make sure you’re happy.

RE2) Not sure those Y dimensions are correct? But X and Z sound right to me. Related post…

• If I was to build again, I’d probably use more common build plate dimensions. Mentioning because there seemed to be fewer 250x250mm options than other dimensions (e.g. 235x235 or 300x300).
  • Note my Z extrusion ended up being additional 20mm more so I could fit electronics under the build plate. Still not sure if that’s a good idea, no one else seems to have gone that route.

Shameless plug… Created a mp3dp v4 build video you can playback at 1x to 200x available at AzaB2C - Build. Make. Hack., or there’s this 2500x playback short. Hope that helps, cheers!

Hi @azab2c

Thank you for the quick reply.

Re: 1: Yup, that’s the badger. I’ve checked the dimensions of the Ooznest stuff, and it just looks pretty much like the V-Slot on Zyltech. I’ll for for the Ooznest as it looks like the cheapest pre-cut I can get in the UK.

Re: 2: Good shout - thank you. Not sure how I mucked up measuring the CAD (or maybe it didn’t refresh properly until I reopened it again). I’ve checked again, and get the measurements you posted.

Video looks good (only quickly skimmed), but I’ve bookmarked, and I guess I’ll use it a lot. Thank you!

I did see another post (or maybe yours) about having the Z height higher to allow for electronics to fit. I did contemplate it. Maybe if I build a second one…

I take your point re: build plate dimensions. The reason I chose 250 x 250 was because I was (and still am) undecided. There are some common/readily available plate sizes just smaller than this, and I have a 220 x 220 from an old Anet A8 that I could repurpose (but probably won’t). I was tempted by 300 x 300, but wanted to keep it fairly compact to aid frame rigidity.

Right, I’m going to bite the bullet, get some extrusion ordered (and a metric bottom load of M3s), and then get browsing AliExpress for some rails, corner pieces etc.

1 Like