Moving the business forward

…is a lot more than aluminum. Also looked into powder coating, not as much as aluminum but well see if there are any complaints about paint/prime.

You were out of plates when i needed mine so i had a local shop cut them out on a water jet. (twice as much as your plates btw). They came directly from the water jet to me. I sanded them and sprayed with metal primer. then brushed on 3 coats of paint that matched my printed parts. in less than a week it was showing small signs of rust. Florida humidity isnt friendly at all. Thinking about taking them off and putting them in my dads blast cabinet and have a friend power coat them for me. We will see how bad they are when i get back in town after its sat for 2 weeks

1 Like

That is crazy, after paint AND prime is still came through?!

1 Like

Yes sir. Ill see how it is when i get home and post a pic to my build thread

I know I have not said much in this discussion, but if I did not already mention, I wanted to chip in:

Computer makers had a stroke of genius when they color coded the wires and sockets they plug into. A blue tip on a wire plugged into a socket with blue paint on it. A red went into red, etc. This instantly takes out all the fear and confusion of wondering if I’m putting the right thing in the right place.

Similarly, if such a “ready kit” was offered, and if there was a way to do, for example, the “One case for the LR3 (X, Y1, Y2, Z1, Z2)” in which the X wire tip and X connector socket were both red, Y1 and Y2 were two shades of matched up green to green (like light/lime green to light/lime green for Y1, and dark green to dark green for Y2), and similarly for Z1 and Z2, light blue and dark blue, etc. (I say these specific colors primarily because in SketchUp and who knows where else, X axis is always red, Y is always green, and Z is always blue). The easier it is to assemble with confidence, the more polished, loved, and worry free.

1 Like

Color coded wires would be nice, currently I’m using binary encoded dashes on my end stop wires.

1 Like

One thought that occurs about challenges: A David v. Goliath type challenge.

If any of us has the fortunate combination of good videography skills and editing skills, is a power user with say, LowRider 3, and, the kicker, has access to a super famous, super expensive, supposedly best of best machine, or perhaps access to a friend or associate who has one, and a series of tests could compare and contrast the LR3 as the affordable “David” slaying (or at least respectfully competing with) the “famous expensive Goliath” CNC, all while highlighting how much more affordable the LR3 is…

Yep, that would be a great challenge video.

1 Like

Semi-serious… I live close to the Avid CNC Factory in Northbend WA, and have a trailer, and a portable generator :slight_smile: Unfortunately I’m not an experienced power user, still learning… Anyone Power users here local to me?

More seriously… Personally, I like Doug’s CNC challenge idea, Neil mentioned crowd sourcing earlier and probably others too. Content/feedback from people coming from, deciding between, or moving on to, different CNCs could be useful to future V1E Community members, future V1E designs/mods, and existing V1E community members trying to get the most out of their builds (creating virtuous cycle and all that…).

On a related note… Have seen many unlisted/small-channel videos posted to the forum by folks doing impressive feats/projects with their builds. Maybe some of those folks would be open to having their content republished on the official V1Engineering Channel, they can decide whether they want their main channel linked or not depending on their privacy preferences?

Have seen something along these lines happen on Ron Paulk, Maker Pipe and other channels.

I’ve never built a business. Am in awe of what you’ve created, and are growing. Thank you!

2 Likes

In the field of professional video editing, the standard expectation is 1 hour of editing for every finished minute of video. This does not include time for rendering.

1 Like

Did you use an etching primer?

2 Likes

After years of using primarily Sony Vegas Pro, I just recently discovered both Davinci Resolve and another option I will mention below.

I liken my attempt at learning Davinci Resolve after being expertly skilled in Sony Vegas Pro, to my attempts to learn Fusion 360 after being expertly skilled in SketchUp. The paradigm switch combined with going from “knowing where everything is” to “not knowing where anything is” is so hard.

By contrast, I also recently discovered that the video processor power in my iPhone XR is so much faster than my video processing power in my 8 year old laptop while running an extra operating system (Windows) in a virtual machine (via Parallels Desktop software) on top of my Mac operating system, and rendering video in the virtual machine from Sony Vegas Pro (because it was always a Windows-only tool). I discovered by trying out the pro-version of an iPhone app called Splice. It is super easy use, and while it lacks some of the bells and whistles and options of editors on a full computer, it’s surprisingly powerful. Many of my recent videos never made it to my computer from my phone (where the video was recorded using the phone’s camera and microphone). The footage was shot, edited, and uploaded all on my phone.

2 Likes

Wow, you edited them on your phone, that is impressive!

I like my phone for basic photo edits and I have cut down a couple clips but I never thought to go further with it. I’m on android but I will have to look into it more.

1 Like

The video I posted today, of the successful plasma cut test, was edited and rendered on my iPhone using the “Splice” app!

Several of the big YouTube woodworkers edit exclusively using the InShot App on their iPhones, and routinely get 30K+ views on videos

The software is very impressive nowadays

1 Like

So much goes into editing. I am considering a second monitor. I could not imagine even attempting it on a cell phone screen. That at the rendering and effects are absolute CPU/GPU crushers. The last vid I did render in 50 minutes with my PC full ramped up the entire time (8 core 16thread, 3060ti) then upload took 8 hours on my internet connection. There was like 200gigs of cached clips that cleared out when I was done…How the heck does that work on a phone?

1 Like

Software magic.

The guy I watch has full 30 minute, 4K vids with lave mic sound editing plus clever edits (mini him crawling around the item being made)

I have no idea how it works. I was running a 390RX with 8gb on dual monitors, i7-4K chip with 64gb ram and it would hang if I got an email while it was processing.

1 Like

I’m an Adobe premiere fan. But I’ve been using it since 2001ish.

I don’t do a lot of heavy editing. Mostly just text overlay and multi feed cuts. I’ll do some speed up and down of video as appropriate.

At one point, I had a small render farm I was using for the final render. The latest computer is faster than my old farm was.

One thing I did is I have a 256gb ssd setup dedicated to a scratch disk for premier.

My wife is an art teacher and uses a lot of adobe’s apps, so we pay for their full suite using her teacher’s discount.

2 Likes

I used to dabble with premiere back in the cd/key days, but being a hobbyist I can’t justify subscriptions. That is when I got in to vegas 13, and love it, lol. I’ve never done an actual story board or anything like that though… just cutting fat from action/documentary type videos for rc hobbies. I could probably hack similar stuff on modern phone apps, but certain things that make a video flow well are hard to do without more tools, resources, and screen real estate.

I was told by ppl smarter than me to stick to platters for video editing, but with cheap ssd’s these days, you can get a lot more done on an old disposable 256. That’s a great idea. Haven’t edited in a while… but my 12700k+980pro would kick the snot out of the 2500k+3tb platter I used to use. Then again, image sensors are pounding editing apps with more pixels these days… probably a wash as far as processing:output time.

2 Likes

I also played around a lot with Kdenlive and Cinelerra back when those were first being developed. I got pretty good with Cinelerra. The motion tracking plugin for Cinelerra was awesome for videos of my RC airplanes. It was a huge pain to get it installed and working back then, though. The entire thing had to be compiled and it had a ton of requirements.

2 Likes

I use kdenlive to edit video in linux. I don’t do anything fancy, just connect different bits, maybe a simultaneous overlay, or adding a presentation title card.

3 Likes