Mounts for Tape Measure Trick Cables

Thanks

updates on the part? I’d love to have this modified file you made. :slight_smile:

The design is done in OnShape and is public.

I ended up using Don’s mounting bracket with my wedge design. I got everything working with a #6 machine screw, but I couldn’t get the design to work with the 1" ones from the rest of the MPCNC build. I had to go to a 1.5" screw.

I posted my files at: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4637470.

I’ll post some pictures of the parts once daylight hits and I can get out to the shop (no lights yet!) where I’m assembling the machine.

I also designed some different mounts to use with the motors, since I’ve got a burley and not a primo. I can post those if anybody is interested.

2 Likes

If someone can post the inside dimensions of the other pipe sizes I can create alternate size baskets.

2 Likes

the “c” size is roughly 21mm

I have updated the Thingiverse files with J-25.4mm & C-23.5mm versions.

Note, I do not have 23.5 EMT Pipe. The design changes look OK but I have not printed to confirm that the C-23.5mm version works or even fits. If you use the C-23.5mm version please leave a comment so I can correct the parts if they are not correct.

3 Likes

i have it printing now for the “c” version. let you know in an hour how it fits

1 Like

Printed and tested. Parts fit perfectly. Great Job

2 Likes

My F version 25mm pipe has got an inner dimension of 21mm. I really appreciate your works, thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Cool, thanks Don, mods are always better when available to everyone. Super cool.

Phillip, which version did you use for the F pipe?

I am sorry, I do not understand the question. It’s stainless steel, 25mm outer diameter, 2mm wall thickness.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I originally did a version for the J and then a new version for the C pipe.

I was asking which of the two pipe basket versions did you use for the F pipe. I’m guessing it was the Original J version.

Glad it worked.

I didn’t try it. You asked for measurements to alter it. :slight_smile:

Will this work with a 0.12 wall thickness on 1" pipe, or do I need to update the STEP files for my pipes? Another cool design!

Thanks,
Dan

It’s likely to be too tight. I also did for another size pipe but I don’t remember if that is larger or smaller.

I just tried these with 3/4” EMT conduit from Home Depot. Printing the thingverse “C” files at 100% size using PLA on my Ender 3 yielded parts too big for the EMT inside diameter.

Some trial and error yielded working parts if printed at 20.2mm x,y for the basket (uniform scaling to 96.65%) and then scaling the other parts that interfaced with the basket the same %.

The #8 x 1 1/4” pan head screw still worked at this size.

At 95% the parts were loose and the plastic failed rather than flexing the basket enough to snug up… so know in advance your parts should start tight fitting.

Sorry it didn’t work.

Was the inside dimension of your pipe 20.2mm? I used these numbers for 3/4 EMT that lists an ID of 20.9 (http://www.electrolinkltd.com/electrolink/ladder/66.htm.

Can anyone else comment on the ID of “C” size 3/4 EMT?

Is there a thick wall EMT?

If others using 3/4 EMT could make some measurements I will be happy to fix.

1 Like

Everything’s harder than you think…

I took my reduced size baskets and tried installing them in my z-conduit and they were too small even though they fit perfectly in the conduit I measured at 20.2mm diameter. I then double checked my measurements and found I was getting measured diameters varying from 20.2mm to 20.8mm. Puzzle.

I looked up the spec.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-10-ft-Electric-Metallic-Tube-EMT-Conduit-853429/100400406#overlay

You sized the EMT part right. It’s my bug.

It ends up the tool I used to cut the conduit caused some metal flow. The MPCNC assembly instructions warned to sand the conduit smooth to avoid wire damage, which I did, but I didn’t always remove excess metal to get back to the spec diameter.

That said it has been a useful lesson learned that I can scale the baskets and piece they are mating with as much as -5% and still use the spec’ed #8 x 1.5in screw.

This cable management implementation is making me earn it… The baskets and tape measure trick are a clever and helpful part of the solution I’m implementing to make the wiring tidy and out of the build area. I’ll put pics in my build thread when it’s done and pretty.

Thanks for engaging.

3 Likes