Mounting plate DXF file - Is one available?

I want to securely attach a digital vernier gauge to my Burly MPCNC to the mounting plate. It would be useful to find a DXF file that I can adapt that has all the screw holes in the right place. I can then work out the fixing for the Vernier Gauge myself.

Looking on Thingiverse shows lots of STL files, but I can’t find a single one that has a DXF file I can use with Fusion 360. Importing an STL file doesn’t give me something I can edit (though that may be an option I haven’t found yet).

Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to work out all the fittings myself?

Thanks

Rob

Cant you export a dfx from 360 once you load a stl?

I’ve tried exporting various formats and reimporting them, but some don’t seem to work (DXF), F3D brings back the same mesh.

All I want are the angles and spacer holes to make my own mount to fit the mounting board.

I can print the mounts for the makita, router cut them flat and screw a plate on but thats a hack :frowning:

Rob

To edit the mesh, Turn off design history and then convert the mesh body to brep. That will give you a solid piece.

What part are you looking for a DXF for? Looking at the tool mount, I know I can’t get a DXF because it’s a curved surface. Someone else may be able to.

I just want to design a part in Fusion 360 that bolts onto the mounting plate. As the plate is curved and the M4 holes are at an angle, I thought it would be easier to adapt an existing part rather than using trial and error to get a simple mount made.

It’s turning out to be a bit of a nightmare

Rob

1 Like

I converted the mesh but it’s still a mess.

I’ll just have to work it out manually and make it that way.

Rob

I used the mesh to trace around and create my own mounting plate

Not sure if it fits yet as the printer is busy, I’ll print out later today and check it fits. If it does, I can then extrude out a volume to create an attachment plate.

If it all fits, I’ll upload the f3d file to here, github or thingiverse (blah!) for other people to use.

Rob

So I made myself a better depth gauge mounting plate that actually fits between the jaws of the Makita tool clamp. I realised that I needed to have the weight of the tool in place otherwise the measurements would be wrong.

I then took depth measurements every 100mm along the X-axis and Y-axis.

You can see the measurements below in the two tables.

The top table is the absolute depth , the bottom table is the difference from a notional maximum depth which was at (100,300) = 7.93mm. So (0,0) was 0.63mm higher than (100,300)

The greatest difference was at (200,100) with 1.12mm higher. The average variance was 0.53mm.

I am unclear what other people have and whether this is good, bad or simple meh! I’m pretty happy and I think it tells me that I should do a maximum surface run of 1.12mm or more. is that correct?

Thanks

Rob

Very cool. I made some charts on my low rider ages ago and posted them here somewhere. I drilled 2mm deep holes with the machine and then used my calipers to measure the actual depth of the hole and I had a very similar table. I think yours is flatter than mine was, I think I was about 5mm from the highest to the lowest.

dfx is an early forerunner of dxf. Exporting to dfx is not possible in F360 afaik, dxf is easier and more common.

I thought it was just for those of us whose CDO OCD wants to have all acronyms in alphabetical order…

2 Likes

I have not used autocad in years just a remembered nightmare not relevant anymore

fusion 360 <> autocad. Started with the latter in its early DOS version. There has been some change, though. And fusion 360 is also not as simple as some 123-products but it does its job.

1 Like