Motor replacement

One of my steppers died today. Not sure what happened but it will not energize. Looking for a replacement but the pre wired motors are difficult for me to replace (my wiring is fairly permanent). Anybody know what specifications I need for the motors? (Torque, current, etc)

Ideally the same that the one died had. :sweat_smile: So you still have the specs or order confirmation anywhere?

Are you sure the issue is the motor? Motors are simple, and rarely fail. I would test the wiring and the stepper driver before determining the issue is the motor. You can swap the wiring at the control board and swap around stepper drivers to determine if the wiring or the stepper driver are the root of the issue…or perhaps even the control board.

As for a replacement, you want matching pairs if the issue is the X or Y axis. You can google the model number to find an exact replacement. If it is X or Y, you could move the Z motor as a replacement and buy a single motor to replace Z. If you need to buy (a) replacement(s), Ryan specs the steppers to have at least 50oz.in holding torque. The stepper motors Ryan sells are 70oz.in. If not buying from Ryan, I see the STEPPERONLINE 84oz.in motors mentioned on the forum.

4 Likes

Excellent info @robertbu !

STEPPERONLINE

1 Like

I did check the connections, they were all good.

I took off the motor and it feels like it’s seized inside. It really doesn’t want to move (no power supplied)

There really isn’t much inside one of these stepper motors so perhaps undo the four screws and try pulling the armature out for a ‘look-see’ ? There just might be a small piece if debris jamming the armature against the winding former.

If the pulley is still on it could there be anything jammed between it and the housing?