Most cost effective way to build 3 machines?

My first machine I bought absolutely everything from the v1 shop but is it still worth it for 3 machines?

I’m working on building 3 new lowrider 3’s and am trying to work out the most cost effective way to source the parts. Since I am making 3 I figured it would be cheapest to buy the hardware in bulk online, order 3 jackpot controllers form v1, 3d print and cut all the other parts.

As I am looking into sourcing the hardware it’s very tricky to find all the exact right stuff and the prices i’m finding are comparable to the v1 shop. So should I just buy all the hardware from the v1 shop too and does anyone know if they’d offer any discounts for larger orders? Shipping to Canada.

I’ve done both. I bought a full hardware kit, and later xz plates from v1. I then purchased 5 motors, MDF pre-cut yz plates, touch plates from v1. I’m using McMaster Carr to source nuts and screws, because I already have a large set of them, just not in the right sizes.

My recommendation is to use v1 engineering as much as possible because you’re supporting the general effort. At the numbers you’re talking about, after shipping and taxes, you’re probably not going to save more than a couple hundred $$$ across the three machines, and more than likely going to spend way more than that in time spent.

I am cutting my own yz and xz though, and purchases “CNC wire” in bulk for better shielded wires that I can cut to length.

It is 1000% worth it to source from Ryan. Everything you need comes in one box ready to go. And its generally really close to the same price. Plus you are supporting the guy that spends all the time it takes to design these things. You will be so much more time ahead just getting the kits and building from there

Because Canadian shipping gets kind of stupid anyway, no matter where you buy from, I’d be surprised if you could save much.

I could save a little because I had much of the hardware, and for my LR3 it was a beta before there was a kit, plus I was extending the rails to.200mm.

Even making 3, that probably won’t get the steep bulk discounts… compare first, I’d say.

Some stuff is pretty much only V1 store anyway, so you’re going to be shipping stuff from there anyhow.

Is shipping within Canada less stupid? If so, and depending on demand, would a V1E approved/licensed Canadian based partner/reseller help reduce overall shipping cost for some items? Potentially provides an opportunity for Ryan to scale for subset of product(s) if he interested in this even. China → Canada, instead of China → USA → Canada.

Or just work with a China/other based manufacturer/distributor, similar to ERCF and other kits.

Sorry if these are dumb suggestions. Let me know.

No. Not really. Consider that the second largest country in the world has the population of California. Low population density means long average disrances to reach fewer people. That comes to mean higher logistics costs. Even if 75% of the population is less than 200km from the US border (I’m not, FWIW) that’s still pretty sparse.

That said, a distribution node without exchange rate roulette and customs delays would be appealing to me.