Mobile job creation (app alternatives for Inkscape?)

Life isn’t slowing down for me right now (in case you haven’t noticed my lack of being on the thread lately), but I’m going to try and be more productive with my time. I’m finding that a good chunk of my day is spent in a car where it is unpractical to pull out my computer for designing, this usually leads me to social media which makes me feel like mush. I wanna change my focus to designing files for my (hopefully soon) woodworking business. Which leads me to this thread, I need to find a good app or apps on my phone for design… I could also use my computer in laptop mode but touch design for desktop apps is usually a afterthought. I also don’t have a crap ton of money to put out there towards an app but maybe able to find something. But I’m curious to see what the crowd says and if you all think it’s even worth my time.

What kind of this are you going to design? Napkin sketches? Furniture and interlocking pieces? DXF signs?

I don’t have a good solution for any of these :slight_smile:. I just think they will each require a different app.

I’ve also been searching for a solution using mobile applications but I haven’t had too much luck. But that may be because I’m doing this as a hobby right now and I don’t want to pay for a subscription that I will not fully utilize. :grin:

Vectornator was a pretty good free tool for Apple devices however they recently changed their name and switched to a subscription model. You can still get a hobby subscription but that doesn’t help for your business.

I recently came across Vectorizor.ai which looks interesting but it sounds like it will also transition to a similar pay model.

I’ve played with the lite version of iPocketDraw on my phone (iPhone). You can export a dxf or pdf. But the interface is a bit difficult to use on a phone. Maybe I just haven’t spent enough time on it to gain proficiency but this is an issue I see on most mobile devices where you’re try to do precision work with a finger.

I used Sketchbook on my phone for napkin sketches. But once again the finger interface is not as precise as I would like.

Hopefully other will have some useful input.

The AutoCAD mobile app is pretty good, if you are an educator you can get it for free with AutoCAD.

Sketchbook is also great for drawings, but not plans.

I also think Affinity is now able to export DXF files, but didn’t try.

Probably all the above. I don’t think I’d do too much complex designs on mobile like furniture.

I’m hoping I could make signs/catch all’s/etc on the go, or do some rough sketches that I could then export over on the computer for final design and gcode creation. If there’s anything you use I’d love to hear it

I like the idea of autocad and/or f360 but unless I could get away with the free version (which I don’t think offers mobile support) I don’t have that kinda money to spare right now

I’m kinda the same way. I found a app called Canva that looked promising. But most everything is premium and its $15-20 a month! to just draw on my phone!

There isn’t. I am at a desk most hours of the day. When I have idle time and only my phone, I’m on here, or I listen to a podcast.

1 Like

You should really check out Affinity Designer. It can’t export DXF, but SVG, which might be enough. You can buy it for iPad only or the whole suite for PC, Mac and iOS for one price.

2 Likes

I was going to say the same thing as @Tokoloshe, but he beat me to it. The Affinity 2 suite, which is quite affordable, especially compared to Adobe, can be bought in one go, with a license for all three apps on both computer and mobile device. Then you could switch from mobile device to computer on a project without skipping a beat.

2 Likes

The free version is still pretty slick though - now called CURVE - Linearity Curve | Best graphic design software for business | Linearity

1 Like

At a glance it looks like it might be close to what I’m looking for. It’s for iPad only on IOS unfortunately. But it’s seems designed with touch in mind so I could probably use my tablet laptop thingamabob in touch mode.

Looking at this as well. Will update as I learn some on these. Thank you everyone for the suggestions

2 Likes

Okay I’ve been messing with both some and I’m really liking affinity, real world applications have come in and I am definitely using it while out and about; not as much as I had anticipated but definitely worth it. I am actually liking it more than Inkscape even when not on the go.

Still some more testing needs to be done before I make any final decisions but I am definitely leaning on affinity. Curve has been nice the few times I’ve used it but the mobile app can be hard for fine tuning things (like centering vectors or text and whatnot), and the other issues I’ve been facing is internet problems. With it being a primarily cloud based software while going down the road I’ve ran into issues with it crashing and not saving work. The cross platform ability of it is great but that complication is frustrating.

3 Likes