Mike's MPCNC

Hey everyone! My name is Mike and I have been a long time lurker of the MPCNC Project. I built my first version a couple years ago when I first heard about the project. I had a 3d Printer and had been looking for a CNC solution for quite a while and then the MPCNC popped up and I knew I had to build one. I have really enjoyed the entire experience and want to thank you Ryan for sharing your creation with the world and letting us enjoy it! I look forward to being a part of the MPCNC community and hopefully the MP3DPv2 community soon.

I am running my MPCNC with a CNC Shield running GRBL and control it with bCNC. I have upgraded to 1" SS rails and a 400W Chinese Spindle that I am controlling the rpm with GRBL and g-code. I also have a Dust Deputy hooked up to the spindle dust shoe and have my shopvac in a cabinet to help reduce the noise. I am very jealous of some of the wiring other people have posted…

2 Likes

Sexy wiring shots and its already dirty…Welcome to the club!

1 Like

Here are some additional photos. This is just the latest iteration for me - I started with the original design and it has been rebuilt several times into this :wink: Only real differences from stock is that I went to 9mm belts, SS 1" pipe, and CNC Shield running GRBL. I control the CNC with bCNC which allows me to use a wireless number pad to jog my machine around. The CNC Shield/GRBL also allows me to control my spindle via GCode which I find cool, but not a game changer. I am really enjoying the feel/options in GRBL/bCNC.

Hi Mike I was wondering how you upgraded to the 9mm belts? Also how do you do all the connections to the shield (steppers x and y being dual) Can tou use a display with this setup or just thru the control software on the pc? Looking for controller options outside the Ramps or Rambo. Let me know.

Thanks

Dave

@Dave,

To upgrade to the 9mm belts all I did was add another 608 bearing next to the first. I cannot remember if I needed to replace the bolts with a longer version to accommodate the additional bearing. As for the wiring, I am just running the two X off of one driver and the two Y off of another. You can do this in parallel or in series just like in a RAMPS setup (there is a lot of discussion on the forums on this). As for the display, I do not believe the CNC Shield has the connections for an LCD display. I had one on my MPCNC when I had a RAMPS setup, but I rarely used it so that was not a big deal for me. I know a lot of people use the display to jog their machine, but I always found it cumbersome. I went with a wireless keypad that I can use to jog the machine (I use bCNC). Let me know if you have anymore questions - more than happy to help!

-Mike