MIC6 Cast Aluminum Bits

I’m currently shopping for cnc bits and wondering what bits I should buy to cut up a 1/4" MIC6 cast aluminum plate. Something like this… McMaster-Carr

1 Like

I can’t even find this kind of aluminium in my list of what can be milled and what can’t… :smiley:

https://www.precifast.de/aluminium-fraesen-leicht-gemacht/

2 Likes

I asked the guy that makes the beds for my printer, he suggested one of these.

said you need to hit the edge with a diamond stone to dull it slightly first for tool plate. says it leaves a horrible finish with the factory edge.

3 Likes

I guess I was thinking i could get away with using a $5 bit from the v1e store but I’m a cnc noob and don’t really know anything yet so I’ll look into that. Better than breaking a bunch of bits by using the wrong ones i’m sure. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

My recommendation is plan your bit purchasing expecting to break some. It’s not if it will happen, but when.

3 Likes

Use trochoidal milling for the best success in aluminium and the fastest speed. Just believe me, I’ve converted many! :smiley:

4 Likes

The short single flute that Ryan sells is awesome. I’ve cut a crap load of aluminum with them. Only reason to spend more, imo, is it you want a coated endmill.

Speaking of, that listing shows the brinell hardness at 65. Compare that to 5052 (that nobody likes to cut) at 60, amd 6061 (almost everybody’s favorite) at 95. I’d bet it’s somewhat easier to machine because it’s cast aluminum, compared to the softer wrought aluminums, but you can expect a bit of challenge I think. A coated endmill might really help here. There are several to choose from, just stay away from the ones with alunimum in them, since they seem to weld up the chips faster.

There are a bunch of other aluminum-cutting tips scattered throughout the forum in case you need them, but you only asked about endmills so maybe you already know the other stuff.

1 Like

I just ordered a bunch of bits from the v1e store. I figure I’ll start with those and some cheap wood and 6061 aluminum to get some experience before I attempt to cut an expensive mic6 tooling plate. Even if i break all the bits, it should be a reasonably cheap education.

1 Like

Reviving old topic just to share recent experience.

Machining MIC6 / Cast 5083 and 6060 bar stock back to back, the 5083 doesn’t even count as Aluminum. It doesn’t stick or weld, it just cuts clean.

1 Like