MazeMaker Special Version for Sand Table

I made a special version of my MazeMaker program that is hopefully suited for most sand tables.

For this special application I removed the demo limitations, that means the program is free to use :slight_smile:

To enter the sand table mode, set the “Channel Wall” parameter to zero (this would make no sense for machined mazes). But please take the time to look over the included guide document (it is not that long) to understand the options, especially section 13. for the sand table.

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ja118djab3qxm2w/MazeMakerInstall_1_07.zip?dl=0
and keep in mind this is kind of a beta. I tested it a bit on my own new sand table and it works quite well. Unzip the file somewhere (harddrive or even USB stick) and run the .exe file. No specific “installation” required. To remove the software, delete the folder. No “uninstall” required as well.

Depending on your controller you may have to edit out the “G10” lines in the beginning of the program that I use to home the axes. The g-code file output is a .tap but obviously you can rename it anything you like (.txt, .nc, .gcode etc.)

For mazes with image boundaries it looks best if the sand table is cleared first with an even line pattern. For square full size mazes of the entire table it does not really matter.

Set the start point to x-cell=1 and y-cell=1 (lower left corner , is actually x=0 and y=0) to avoid a start line across the table. The ball will also return to this point along the maze when finished. If your zero is in the center, specify x/y offset (check the gcode).

Let me know if something does not work as expected. Please let me also know if it does work and if you like it (or not) …

Cheers, GB

1 Like

Another thing: On the Dropbox download page, don’t try to run the program out of the zip folder preview in the browser. I know this is kind of self explanatory but I have had somebody try that and complain…

The actual download (option direct download) button is in the top right corner.

can you explain the parameters again? I am not sure if I follow. The red lines indicate the maze, and the green lines indicate the solution to the maze? Which parts are cut or drawn?

The solution is drawn, which leaves the walls. But it is exhaustive.

Correct. The red lines are the ball channels (if cut with a router bit) or the possible ball traces (for a zen-table) while the green line is the single possible path from the start to the end point (green circles). There are no roundabouts.

All red lines are going to be cut or traced with the ball and then the bit or ball will return to the start via previously cut/traced path. The green line is only there for information or if somebody believes there is no solution in a complex maze.

Usually the red lines will touch every possible cell in the matrix but for mazes with complex outline or for some strange parameter settings, cells can be orphaned and cut off. These “empty cells” are marked with black circles. Multiple attempts of “new maze” button clicks may or may not cure this.