Maximum xyz speed?

Hey guys!

As some of you may know already, besides using my cnc for more traditional things, I also do drawings with it.

I’m wondering what’s the theoretical maximum speed that can be achieved? And what are the ways to achieve it? Will taking off the drill of 1.1kg make a big difference?

Or is it all in the motors?

Thanks

O

If you are using the T8 leadscrew the max is XY 120mm/s and I have the Z firmware limited to 30mm/s if you are using the newest firmware. You lose a ton of power as you move past 30mm/s so test incrementally.

Taking the weight off of it will make a dramatic difference in accuracy, precision.

You can also change your microstepping settings from 1/32 to 1/16 or 1/8.

If this is for drawing, you won’t need much torque, and this way the limiting factor will not be the Arduino processing speed, it can go way faster at a lower microstep and won’t impact quality too much (of course, don’t forget to change your step per mm settings too)

And yes, remove as many weight as you can on the gantry, also make sure your machine is extremely rigid because high travels speed will induce a lot of wobble otherwise.