Material that can be painted after machining

What would be a good material I could cut out pockets into and then paint it and it look good.

This is an internet image, but similar to what I mean by pockets. Only I want to paint it when its done. Can you do this with MDF or do the machined areas not paint well?

MDF paints nice. It’s not a very strong material though. The edges will chip and ding. It’s not really a good material if being handled.

What are you going to use it for? The reason this is made out of hardwood in the image is because you can finish it with oil like a cutting board and it is reasonably food safe. It can also be hand washed and dried.

I don’t think you should put food in something painted.

If you want it all the same color, what about a single piece of hardwood?

Its not for food. Its for a tray for organizing things. I could do hardwood, but wasn’t sure what hardwood paints and machines good.

If you want to paint it, I’d suggest Poplar. It is a harder wood and paints really nice. It is commonly used for cabinet doors and such.

1 Like

Agreed polar is priced well, and machines well. MDF can be tough to paint as it soaks in a ton of paint. It takes a lot of coats.

Yeah, MDF is very porous and soaks up a lot of paint. Also, be aware that the dust from machining it isn’t something you want to breathe! You can mitigate that with a coat of primer, and allow that to thoroughly dry before applying a top coat. I used to use a lot of it for car audio installations, with a lot of extreme shaping, and finishing from a quick shot of spray paint up to a high-gloss finish. It does take some work to get a nice finish to it, and I always recommend starting with that coat of primer.

Poplar is a nice close-grained wood. not too hard, so it isn’t bad for machining, but you do have to mind the grain. It does have a tendency to warp with humidity, so once you get the shape you want, it ought to be sealed. Paint will do that, but don’t leave the bottom surface unfinished, or it is apt to warp on you. Poplar is an excellent choice as an introduction to machining hardwood. It’s relatively soft, and easy to work with, reasonably inexpensive if you muck it up, but still produces some very good results that will look good with any finish from a quick wipe with mineral oil to stain to a painted finish.

Most hardwoods will machine quite well. I’ve had good success with maple, cherry and walnut, but these can be kind of expensive. I think they also are quite attractive, and it’s kind of a shame to paint them. Oak also does well, but the grain pattern will be apparent. (Also kind of expensive if you want to paint it.) Any of these, I would recommend an oil or stain finish, instead of paint, myself.

Clear pine machines well. It’s a soft wood and won’t take as much wear and tear. Fir is technically a softwood, but is very strong and has a dense grain pattern that finishes well. it’s generally less expensive than hardwood, too. These are a little different from the poplar in machining experience, but shouldn’t break the bank to experiment with.