Marlin 2.1.2... input shaping!

Just wanted to spread the joy to those who haven’t heard the news about the latest release. I’m late to the klipper party, in fact still haven’t tried it yet. So I was happy when I saw Marlin added input shaping.

I haven’t played with it much. It can’t make use of an accelerometer yet, but the devs are already discussing how to improve tuning. Also you can’t select the model yet, which is another thing devs seem hot on adding soon. I’m not waiting though… I am starting the process of manual tuning using ringing towers. The guide on the github PR explains the process as it relates to Marlinfw, using Prusaslicer to generate stl’s. I’m hoping I can get my printer to go faster with it.

On a side note, that guide showed me how much Slicer has come along over the past few years. I’m switching back to it from cura now. I used Cura because slic3r was missing some key features back then, like placeholders and ‘at layer injections’. Now slicer has that, and then some like conditional gcode and per filament gcodes (I missed per filaments using cura… slicer has always had that).

[edit: Since I mentioned it, I may as well post an example slicer script that actually works:

; Input Shaping Frequency Testing
{if layer_z<=5}M204 P1500; Set Acceleration at 0mm
{elsif layer_z<=10}M204 P2000; Set Acceleration at 5mm
{elsif layer_z<=15}M204 P2500; Set Acceleration at 10mm
{elsif layer_z<=20}M204 P3000; Set Acceleration at 15
{elsif layer_z<=25}M204 P3500; Set Acceleration at 20
{elsif layer_z<=30}M204 P4000; Set Acceleration at 25
{elsif layer_z<=35}M204 P4500; Set Acceleration at 30
{elsif layer_z<=40}M204 P5000; Set Acceleration at 35
{elsif layer_z<=45}M204 P5500; Set Acceleration at 40
{elsif layer_z<=50}M204 P6000; Set Acceleration at 45
{elsif layer_z<=55}M204 P6500; Set Acceleration at 50
{else}M204 P7000; Set Acceleration at 55
{endif}

LOL, the one posted by Tom doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Very interesting. I am using CoreXY so this tidbit is going to come in handy.

“do you have a CoreXY machine? You will need to rotate your tuning model 45 degrees. Shaping works per motor, not per axis.”

I am interested to try it soon, My print speeds are near my extruder max, but this will let me increase accels, and possibly make me get a high flow nozzle (and better cooling).

1 Like

I hope you mean prusa slicer, which is forked from slic3r. Unless there are updates to slic3r I don’t know about, most of the improvements have been by the sw team at prusa.

1 Like

I was referencing both, adding the traditional 3 in there to denote the older stale version. I did call prusaslicer simply ‘slicer’, with e not 3, because prepending prusa is so much work hehe. By no means was I attempting to slight or in any way minimize the excellent work that the prusa sw team has done.

On a side note… 2.1.2 may have some bug with max31865 using sw spi on my gtr 1.0 board (using a breakout for a 3-wire pt100). It keeps giving me max temp errors at bootup… and randomly will boot succesfully. Must me some timing issue that was introduced… trying to sort it now. It worked 100% before.