Manta M8P V1.0 & 1.1 SPI Bus

I’m using TMC5160 spi drivers on a Manta M8P v 1.0 board. They work fine using software spi to control them. I have been trying to use the hardware spi bus for control but keep getting “Unable to write tmc spi ‘stepper’ register GLOBALSCALER” errors. After googling around this seem a common error with no solution. Other than to use software spi:
spi_software_sclk_pin: PA5
spi_software_mosi_pin: PA7
spi_software_miso_pin: PA6

Version v 1.1 of the Manta board has a reworked hardware spi bus with different pin outs and I think this has corrected the problem.
The version number for the Manta board is written in tiny red letters on the back of the board that is very hard to see.

Telling the boards apart from the from front.

V1.0 Under the stenciled BIGTREETECH and board processor, if you see PT100/PT1000 stenciled.
V1.1 Does not have the stencil noted above. In the upper left above the CM4/CB1 holder is a three pin socket for PC13.

I’m posting this to keep others from wasting a bunch of time and possibly posting a solution if one is found. Most of the solutions I’ve found are bodges that break easily if things are changed.

Summary

2 Likes

Thought I had it there for a second… Alas I made my own bodge that only works from a cold boot. :pensive:
Here’s what I’ve found so far. There doesn’t seem to be a miso signal when using the hardware bus. Jumping from PA6 (Mot-Miso from chip) to SDO/CFGO on the daisy chained drivers and powering up everything works. (cold boot). If you do firmware restart or restart with the power on you get serial bus errors or klipper just deleting the /dev/serial folder. Bigtreetech doesn’t seem very responsive to the issue.
So with software spi working, I’m going to leave it for now.