Making Lowrider Parts on a Primo

After I finished my MPCNC Primo this past winter and learning some CAM and milling basics, I decided to put it to good use and start making parts for a Lowrider 3. It’s going to be full sheet capable with a cutting area of 49x97”. I started with hard stuff and after many busted cheapo end mills and tons of trial and error I ended up with 2 very nice XZ plates milled out of aluminum diamond plate. (Some diamonds needed to be removed afterward for proper assembly.) Next I cut out my YZ plates from .750 MDF/plywood combination material:

Then I decided to attempt the strut plates even though they were going to be longer than my Primo’s work area. Using dowels and locator holes in my wasteboard I was able to cut them out of .250 lauan. It took breaking the file into 3 sections and relocating 2 times after the initial cut, but they came out at 1423mm while the file was from the ‘Calculator’ was 1424mm.

Then I decided to start building a parametric torsion box table (Doug Joseph’s version) doing the same relocation method. I got 4 of the 7 x-ribs completed today with similarly encouraging results:

Having a blast!!


Here is the carriage…



The XZ and YZ plates and the struts were all cut on my 28"x28" MPCNC Primo.

Unfortunately, I’m going to have to press pause on the project for a bit until I I finish a few house projects. I’ll still be checking in a couple times a week to see what you all are building.

Is it just me or does it seem like the Primo is a more rigid design, albeit with lower size limitations? Not that it’ll make a difference especially after seeing some your videos of the LR3 plowing through .250 aluminum. Jonathon Jones thread on the building of his current V5 video comes to mind!


It may just be me but I find my full sheet LR3 is more ridged than my 24"x24" primo.

1 Like

I think both machines have different strengths, but both are generally very capable.

There are some things that I find easier to do on the Primo, but I find myself using the LR3 more and more for general purpose. I believe the fully captured rails on the primo make it feel more stable, but I dont know that it makes a difference with a properly loaded cutting tool.

Both machines skip steps when I do something I shouldn’t. :rofl:

I do think the LR3 is more prone to small amounts of shifting. I bought an SBR captured rail that I want to change the non-captured rail out for, but it isn’t worth a lot of extra hassle to do just yet.

1 Like

I also somehow feel the Primo is more stable at higher loads and you guys know I like to push it. Maybe I also didn’t care too much about it when on the Primo a few years back since my woodworking and expectations got better/more with time. So maybe it’s a look back that is to be taken with a jar of salt (not just a grain). Would be interesting to let the Primo actually mill wood again. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Creepy Smile GIF - Creepy Smile Midget GIFs

Knocked another limit switch whisker off for the 7th time…I’m having fun. Fun, fun, fun. Having so much fun.