Major problems... but total Noob so not surprising

Two major issues that I can’t seem to find solutions for… have a bunch of stuff to cut for my father-in-law so it’s really gotten to the critical, “Are you a moron?” “Why did my daughter marry you?” stage.

First issue: Cuts freeze in the middle of an operation. Only seems to happen when the X-axis is hooked up. Don’t ask me how I figured out that was a solution because I don’t remember but I looked up during a test once and sure enough that motor was unplugged and it was happily moving along on the Y and Z.

Usually hangs during the first 2-7% of a job.

The second issue which is not as critical, but still annoying, is the board won’t read the SD card slot or the Micro SD slot on the main board. Tried different cards, long formatting, renaming the files, etc. but it only sees that a card is there and then won’t read the card.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Lowrider V2 with a BigTreeTech SKR Pro V3 updated to the latest firmware on both the board and the screen.

1 Like

Well, on the positive side of things, you’re either over-thinking things, and you are in no danger of being disowned for this, or it doesn’t matter whether you got this or not, you’ll always be on the cusp of being shown the door, and maybe having it opened for you. Plus, if you do mess this up, keep working on it, and get to where you can make a nice box that fits a nice bottle of 12-20yr old scotch (or another appropriate beverage). You’d be surprised what something like that can smooth over… :wink:

2 Likes

This points to a bad connection with your X motor. Check your plugs. Also make sure you took the black plastic things off the board like it says in the Docs. That can make the connections loose with the dupont connectors because they cant get on the pins far enough.

As far as your second issue I’m at a loss on that one. I’m sure someone else will be by to give you an idea on that one.

2 Likes

Excellent suggestions all around. I will probably try the X axis solution BEFORE I break into the scotch but maybe the scotch should come first. Off to experiment. Thanks again!

1 Like

I think the SD slot in the board is only used for firmware updates. For normal use, the G-Code cut files are only for the SD card on the TFT touch screen. Keep us updated!

UPDATE: apparently I’m mistaken. See below.

2 Likes

I’ve never used his specific board. But I know before the latest TFT update I ran my LR3 in Marlin mode which the TFT SD card slot doesn’t work for and i ran Gcode from the SD slot on the board. But I’m runing the SKR Pro 1.2

I stand corrected. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Freezing:

• Problem with the communication between the computer and the control board. Test by running jobs from the SD card in the display in Marlin mode. You get to Marlin mode by holding the knob down for a few seconds.
  • Bad power supply. This usually causes the control board to reboot. Given your X axis scenario, this is the most likely reason.
  • EMF issues. Usually EMF issues cause random movement, but we sometimes see freezes as well.

In order for SD card to be read, they need to be formatted FAT32. For FAT32, you need a card 32GB or less. Most cards these days are too big for FAT32. So, make sure of the size of your card, and that it is formatted FAT32.

1 Like

Thanks again all. Will try these solutions. Suspecting a power supply issue given I got to a 21% ghost print today.