LR3 update

Well guys it has been a minute. A lot has happened in the past few months and working on the LR3 was not one of them. I was finally able to get back out in the garage and mess around some. Noticed that the middle of my spool board was higher in the middle than the outside. So I used a deck of playing cards to bring the sides up a bit. I use about 10 cards per bolt holding the board down. Sounds like a lot and it kind of is. Only thing I can think of is when the table was welded together it drew down on the edges. Once that was finished I trammed the gantry. -71.2075 on Z0 stepper and -72.2362 on Z1 stepper with a difference of .0287. All that was after probing 4 times in each side and getting the average and subtracting those totals. I then took that number from the pull off on Z0 which was originally 4 and made my new pull off 3.9713. In the mean time I’ve been working on learning FreeCad.
As I am 36 going on 37 working a full time job and going to school. Trying to learn other things in the midst of life can be a challenge lol. It is fun and takes the mind off day to day stuff messing around with the cnc.

2 Likes

That is the nasty truth about welded stuff It moves while welding, other than that fantastic table!
Me personally, I would have just surfaced it and let it be.

For me, oddly enough I think I am learning faster than ever. I seem to have learned how to learn. Getting my mind off the day to day and focusing on something new seems to be my new favorite hobby.

3 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate the positive comments there lol. Between learning electrical wiring and PLC programmings it’s been a lot.

Yes, I need to surface the table still. Not really sure how to go about that yet.

2 Likes

I made a rectangle bed size in cad and just ran a 1 inch or 25 mm cutter and made a pocket 1mm deep till it was flat worked really well. Its not something you do often.

I’ve aways wanted a welder but probably better i never used one if you can make things in steel warp I’m in trouble you sould see what i do to wood

1 Like

You can keep steel from warping but it is hard. The ways to keep steel from warping was not done on this table lol. it was squared and made as level as possible and then welded together. Having a welder is almost a must. I think everyone should have at least one 3D printer, cnc, and a welder lol.

I am going to try and do what you had said that you did to surface your board.

1 Like