LR3 survives falling roof

Snow’s not bad. It’s when it rains on top of the snow. That sucks.

1 Like

My 38+++++° ambient is crying seeing all that snow

I think I am back in business with a fixed Z stub. Or I would be if I weren’t going for a minor upgrade.

All the electronics were hanging on board that had a janky mount onto the back strut plate. It had also fallen off and I could probably reattach it but it really needs a better mount.

So I’ll re-cut all the strut plates from 1/4" mdf this time (instead of 1/8" hardboard) and plan a bit of extra height on the back to mount the electronics directly.

8 Likes

Will be good to see that machine back in operation.

Excellent!

I am thinking I don’t need to replace the front and bottom strut plates. It feels like a lot of work for minimal benefit.

But I love this new back plate. Now I have plenty of room to mount everything, and I can fashion a dust cover too, whereas previously everything was barely hanging on.

6 Likes

#idex lovers, here we go!!!

1 Like

Powered it on for the first time and so far it looks like everything works (not fully wired). Octopus board powers Pi no problem, talks to octopus board, no issues.

I had forgotten that I set up the Pi with a read-only filesystem with RAM overlay so I can yank power with impunity. I have had very bad luck in the past suddenly cutting power to a Pi.

All I need now is to redesign the bracket for the fixed end of the drag chains.

1 Like

That is a silver lining.

That is a very good solution. We used to have some linux boxes in a semi-permanent installation and we did that. We added some simple command line scripts to make it read/write and back to read-only. It was very convenient. And we had more confidence junior engineers hadn’t broken something.

1 Like