LR3/Jackpot X/Y stepper motor issue

I am working on the initial startup of my L3 with purchased parts from V1e. I am using the Jackpot board and will all the v1 wiring etc.

So far my Z axis and limit switches work fine. My X axis stepper and Y axis steppers seem to be binding, or sound like it. To troubleshoot I pulled the X stepper from the carriage and toggled to move in fluid and it worked, this is with no belt on. When installed back on and belt tightened up, it made the noise again and didn’t move the belt.

The Y axis is doing similar things though I haven’t removed the steppers yet.

Not sure if it’s firmware or pot on the drivers or?

Thanks,

Bryan

Your good description sounds like skipped steps on the stepper motors.

Common causes of skipped steps are:

1. Too much load on a stepper, as in something isn’t smooth and free.
  2. Two stepper motors moving in opposite directions.
  3. Wiring “order” changed on the stepper.
  4. Amps provided to the steppers is too low.

The good news is your description so far of TS X, eliminated #3.
Z appears to be fine which is awesome, and makes 4 less likely, globally, and more of an individual driver issue.

Being you started with X, when the X stepper is out, can you move the core freely left and right by hand? When the stepper is installed the core is away from the sides?, and making the sounds with both left and right jogs? For confirmation, these are V1 provided steppers? You are using the default configuration file? Which power supply are you using?

And of course a picture of your controller with wiring could be beneficial to the community.

My guesses at this point are:

1. X is somehow binding up, especially when installed and belted.
  2. Y is somehow also binding up (similar to x), with the added bonus of the two steppers possibly moving in opposite directions.
  3. If machine is moving freely with steppers installed and belted, ensure the firmware is updated and load a fresh new configuration file.

If my guesses are not the issue, we will need to focus on the controller, power supply and wiring.

Steve, thanks for your reply and thoughts. I feel stupid but after investigating what seemed to be binding found I had routed the belts incorrectly on the x, y axis. After correcting, all axis move correctly!

Now I just need to troubleshoot my one Y axis end stop and I will have a working machine!

• Bryan
1 Like

Glad to hear it was something simple, and none of my thoughts. :v: