LR3 Gantry weight

Hey All,

i’ve only just been able to get to completing my my LR2 build only to see a new improved version is out !

i’ll mostly be using my cnc for board and slab leveling and was wondering if this gantry can handle the weight of larger routers/ spindles? (i know i have to design my own holder)

i have one of these https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-heavy-duty-2hp-router-combo-kit/1000663450 and I did try it on the LR2 without success :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Autonomous created Bosch 1617EVS tool mount for low rider 3 and seems to be getting great results on their LowRider 3 (LR3) with that hefty router.

1 Like

The LR3 gantry when using the same steel (I re-used the 1" DOM that I used for.my LR2) is much stiffer agains sag due to the brace and strut plate design. I’m sure that it can handle a fairly hefty load, more than the LR2 is capable of in terms of maximum mass.

The trade off is that with nothing below the table, you can’t stabilize the machine with extra mass below the table line. The LR3 is less able to manage very tall cuts that way, so if you want to surface thick slabs, being able to lower the table surface.relative to the machine is highly recommended.

2 Likes

And/or raise the y-axis rails relative to the table (e.g. Ryan recommended propping up rails on flat MDF in another post ).

For LR3 builds wanting to make taller/deeper cuts/carves (not just surface the tops), should they consider modifying the YZ plates to maintain a more equilateral triangle shape (and not just raise the YZ plate height), more non usable Y axis required, but that could be an easier path to gain a few cutting depth inches without having to make a drop table?

2 Likes

I don’t believe that the YZ plates would benefit from being ‘more equilateral’ since the weight seems to be well distributed given the router’s offset from the gantry in the Y dimension. It might be better balanced at certain lengths of gantry or with a certain mass of router, but the bulk of the mass and of force against the bit is very close to the center of the wheels.

Mime with the 200mm rails is probably about as much travel as I could ever see wanting, but the longest cutting bit that I have is about 2" (52mm) fluted length, so much more than that probably not going to happen.

Maybe the guys doing foam surfboards could use more… but at that point, I think the LR2 may actually be a better fit. The LR2 can be made more stable by hanging extra mass off of the bottom of the Z rails. Make the Z tubes extra long and put weight on the bottom end, and the machine gets to be far more stable. Not necessarily more rigid, but much more difficult to tilt. Just make sure that you have the acceleration set to compensate for moving the extra mass.

2 Likes