so cut a long story short, i need to print the core for the LR3. the one i have warped, i found out just after re-printing almost all the other parts thinking it had survived the heatwave… pfftt
I’ve got a tronxy x5sa 400 Pro that’s nicely dialled in for eSUN PLA+, all the stringing gone and some “mirror” finishes on the last of my prints using 0.4mm nozzle and 0.2mm layer height. If i sound impressed by my own printer it’s because it’s taken me 2 printers and <>5yrs to get to this point (thanks to Jeff for the inspiration from his posts)
So… the question… what settings and how long has it taken you to print the core? did you print it with a 0.4mm nozzle or go with something bigger to get the speed increase? any issue with integrity? what settings worked for you?
I used 0.33333 layer height with a 0.4mm nozzle, the slightly chunkier layers gives better strength, and is more than adequate for a functional part. Saves a good chunk of print time.
If I need to print something quick, I usually do 80% of the nozzle diameter. if 0.4 nozzle, 0.32 layer height, 0.6 nozzle, 0.48 layer height.
I don’t know what extruder and hotend you have, but don’t forget that if you go with a larger nozzle you may have to slow down the printer… for the hotend to be able to keep up with filament volume going through the nozzle.
I have a Vulcano on my Repeat (40W heating cartridge) and I have no problem printing at 150/200mm/s with a 0.6 nozzel, now… The CR10S Pro has the same Hemera with standard hotend and 30W heating cartridge. With 0.4 nozzle I can do 100mm/s, if I use a 0.6 nozzle I need to drop the speed to around 75mm/s.
Thanks Both, i’m still quite new to 3d printing so those explanations are really useful
So cura 4.1.8 (tried newer but it breaks power loss resume / time to finish & filament replace) says 23hrs to print the core. tronxy recommended settings for 0.2mm layer height, 0.4mm nozzle cloned to use 0.33mm layer height. i’m just waiting for the current print to finish and then kick it off. fingers crossed, so far my longest print was 13hrs, so this will be er… interesting