LR3 CNCjs questions

I finally have my LR3 working good mechanically. I have drawn the crown and simulated some test cuts from the display screen. I am now trying to use CNCjs to complete my workflow to surface my spoil board and am running into some confusion over how CNCjs operates.

Probing: does it not work correctly? I can enter G38.2 Z0 in the terminal window and it works fine but if I use the probe button from the CNCjs interface it does nothing. The settings are on G38.2 button but when I click on it it doesn’t move. I know I can set up a macro button to do the same thing but it would be nice to use what’s there.

Starting a cut: after I upload a file and hit the play button the Z axis drops to the bottom and keeps driving. The file is fine from the LR3 display so in theory it should work or is there something I am missing in CNCjs?

And lastly, not really related to CNCjs but is there a probe command on the LR3 display? I am using the monochrome display with the Rambo board. I think I looked at everything but didn’t see anything that said “probe”.

To stop mine from doing that I had to add G92 X0 Y0 Z0 at the start

So that confuses me and I took it out of my g-code. If I zero out Z by either probing or using the paper method, then raise the tool up a little so I can start the router wouldn’t having this in the g-code re-zero Z at the now raised point?

Yes. I home XYZ manually then jog it to where I want it to start from then it thinks that’s the 0 for the file it’s cutting

So you start the router, then jog it to your start point, then it gets the G92?

Remove just the Z0 on the end.

Here’s the setup steps I use.

Manually Jog to where I want the X0Y0 to be.
I use a touchplate to set my Z0, but you can use the paper method if you want.

Then, my gcode has a G92 X0Y0 as the first line. This sets just the X and Y zero point, but doesn’t modify the Z0 point.

Ah, that makes more sense. I’ll give that a try.

So I just tried it with the Z0 removed from the g-code. Here’s the beginning of the g-code:

; mode: surfacing
; rapid feedrate: 3000 mm/min
; raise/lower feedrate: 800 mm/min
; pen down z level: -0.5
; pen up z level: 0.5
; drawing feedrate: 2500 mm/min
; x extent: 200
; y extent: 400
; stepover: 12 mm
; direction: N
; perimeter: false
G92 X0 Y0
G0 Z0.5 F800
G0 X0.000 Y0 F3000
G1 Z-0.5 F800
G1 X0.000 Y8.163 F2500
G1 X0.000 Y16.327 F2500

I don’t see anything there that would cause Z to drop.

I am using the G-Code test pattern generator at G-Code Test Pattern Generator
to test surfacing patterns to make sure I understand what it’s going to do before I start actually surfacing my spoil board. If I run this code from the LR3 display it works as expected. When I run this from CNCjs it drives Z down and doesn’t stop until I kill power. I must have something not set up in CNCjs correctly.

I have this set up in a machine profile in CNCjs settings. I wasn’t sure what to put in for Z limits so that may be way off:

I think I have it working now. Still not sure what was causing the drop.

That should be raising your Z 0.5

That should be dropping the Z.

The F### on the end of each line is the Feed speed for that movement.

If I remember all the commands correctly, I’d expect to see the mill move up, move down, then move in the Y direction. I don’t believe the G0 X0Y0 will actually do anything since the G92 command just set the current location to 0.

The Z limit should be the max height your machine can lift Z before hitting an endstop. It’s kinda like a software limit switch.

Yes, that’s what it is doing when it starts correctly. It seems to be working fine now that I have removed the Z0 from the start code. I am currently surfacing the spoil board and so far so good.

1 Like